We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Treebones vs. VRBO

Jersey City, New...
8 posts
Save Topic
Treebones vs. VRBO

Hi my husband and I are planning a trip in mid july to drive between LA and SanFransisco. We want to spend a couple nights in big sur (our trip will total 5 or 6 nights) and are trying to decide between staying in a Yurt at the treebones resort, or renting a nice little cabin on VRBO. Would appreciate advice from the seasoned big sur goers. if you could only do one which would you do? I should mention that the purpose of this trip is romance and relaxation, our first trip away from our 3 year old.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Treebones vs. VRBO

Where is the cabin located? Treebones is farther south down the Big Sur coast so you will be close to nothing except hiking trails and ocean (which is great if it's what you are looking for). The yurts are lovely but I feel a bit costly to not have an "en suite" bathroom. There is a restaurant on site. If the cabin is closer to the actual town of Big Sur you will have more options with less driving (restaurants, shops, state parks, etc).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Treebones vs. VRBO

Where is the VRBO cabin exactly?

Treebones is well established and I would go with it if I knew nothing definitive about the alternative cabin.

Jersey City, New...
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Treebones vs. VRBO

here is one of the cabins i am looking at http://www.vrbo.com/369464

Shell Beach...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Treebones vs. VRBO

That cabin is in a good location, if the map location is accurate. I'd guess it's about half an hour to the parks, shops and restaurants in the Big Sur "village" - the area around Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Treebones vs. VRBO

OK so this cabin is a couple miles up Palo Colorado Road from Hwy One. That is even more isolated than Treebones. And it's very early in the Big Sur region coming from the north. I'd go with treebones if only because you'll see more o Big Sur on the way. And Treebones has a restaurant. But

Shell Beach...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Treebones vs. VRBO

Given that, it's probably more like an hour drive to anything else. My vote is for Treebones.

Short-tem vacation home rentals are not legally permitted in Big Sur although many homeowners rent out their houses. That means the market is unregulated. There was a feature story in the Carmel Pine Cone this week about the problem and local leaders' efforts to address the issue.

…fileburstcdn.com/130517PCA.pdf (see page 6)

Edited: 19 May 2013, 15:09
Jersey City, New...
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Treebones vs. VRBO

http://www.vrbo.com/308308 what about this place?

as far as treebones is concerned it looks like a great location, my only concern from some of the trip advisor reviews is the close proximity of the yurts and noise from the generators... thoughts?

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Treebones vs. VRBO

Since that location is blocked on the map, it's hard to comment on it. Without knowing where it is along that stretch of coastline, we have no way of knowing how far you would be from anything.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Treebones vs. VRBO

308308 looks intriguing but would be good to know exactly where it is. It says a 15 minute walk to Pfeiffer Beach, if so I'd think it would have to be on the road down to the beach.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Treebones vs. VRBO

Guess I should read further on in the description. Located in Sycamore Canyon. Sycamore Canyon Road is the road that leads down to Pfeiffer Beach.

That should be a great location! You would truly be in the heart of Big Sur, close to dining, shopping, etc., while being in a secluded area of Big Sur.

Get answers to your questions about Big Sur