We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Monterey bay to San Luis Obispo

Which Big Sur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Drive from Monterey bay to San Luis Obispo

I'm planning as part of my trip to travel one day from Monterey to San Luis Obispo, and on the way to stop at the Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park and heartst castle.

Can I make it on time without having to drive while it's dark ? I don't want to miss the big sur views.

I don't mind leaving monterey really early that morning.

Thanks

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
661 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Monterey bay to San Luis Obispo

Yes, definitely do-able. Have you checked google maps? They can give you the exact mileage. McWay Falls are awesome. You'll have a good time. (BTW, a lot depends on how much time you want to spend at Hearst Castle. I've haven't been in many years, but they had tours of different lengths. There's also the overhead of getting up there and... you may have to wait a half-hour for your tour to start, etc. I bet a lot of info is on their website)

Edited: 20 May 2013, 18:34
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,308 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Monterey bay to San Luis Obispo

There is a lot more to see than the Park you mentioned. One can spend a few hours in Point Lobos for example and a then if you do the last tour in San Simeon, in Summer you will have daylight to drive the 50 miles to SLO

Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Monterey bay to San Luis Obispo

You're absolutely right, my plan was actually to do Point Lobos park, Hearst castle and McWay Falls.

However since I need to squeeze monterey bay aquarium in there too, i was told it's too much for one day.

So my plan is to to leave SF and go to Santa Cruze for a few hours and then to Monterey bay aquarium and spend the night in Monterey.

The next day go to Carmel, spend few hours by the beach, do the 17 mile road, and then go to Point Lobos park, then spending the night at Carmel or Monterey again (where do you think is better ??).

The next day I would do as I wrote, drive to SLO, stopping at McWay Falls and hearst castle.

Sounds like a good plan ? would you change/add something ?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,308 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from Monterey bay to San Luis Obispo

I would skip the 17 mile drive unless you are a biker and want to bike it and instead spend more time in Point Lobos. Since you were planning to spend time in SLO for the nightlife, I would say Monterey which has more bars and restaurants than Carmel which is also more expensive Not that either of those two towns are party towns like SLO

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,300 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from Monterey bay to San Luis Obispo

Check the Hearst Castle tours and times online. There are several different options, all at scheduled times. Allow about 75 minutes for the tour--15 minutes up to the castle from the VC, a 45 minute tour, and then 15 minutes back on the bus to the VC. This will not give you any time at all for the grounds, so if you have time allow for that. It is possible to do more than one tour while you are up on the hill--buy the tickets at the visitor center and you can stay at the castle between tours. The only place you can go around by yourself is the outside to see the pools and grounds; inside you must be part of a guided tour. You can book online in advance, ensuring you get the tour you want when you want it--they do sell out.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,857 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive from Monterey bay to San Luis Obispo

The drive to SLO from Monterey is close to 3 1/2 hours without stops, so, with an early departure from Monterey, you'll have more than enough time for McWay Falls and Hearst Castle. You can even fit other stops into that travel day and make it to Hearst Castle by the last tour time. Just be sure to order your tickets beforehand so you won't have to worry about the last tour selling out on you.

The drive from Hearst Castle to SLO isn't along the elevated, twisty part of Highway 1, so no worries about driving that part of highway after dark.

7. Re: Drive from Monterey bay to San Luis Obispo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2014, 06:17