We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another itinerary, each one their own!

Which Big Sur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Centennial, Colorado
Level Contributor
455 posts
546 reviews
Save Topic
Another itinerary, each one their own!

I have been reading many itineraries. Wanted to know if this seem good for the time that we have.

Aug.6th Tues.

Leaving San Francisco in rented car mid-am and driving to Monterey, we do want to see the aquarium. Check into our hotel on cannery row, get dinner, walk around.

Aug 7th Wed.

Head down the coast with stops at Pfeiffer Beach, McWay Falls, Elephant Seal Rookery. Spend the night in Cambria.

Aug 8th

On the road by 10 am to get to Santa Barbara for lunch.

Are those 2 days ok? Traveling with kids ages 10 and 12. I have seen the castle before (I'm a UCSB alum) and we're not interested in doing that this trip. Just out door stuff.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,065 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another itinerary, each one their own!

That sounds reasonable. It would be nice if you had a full day to spend in the Monterey area, or spend some time on the beach in Santa Cruz and take the kids to the Boardwalk. But given the 3 days available, I think it is a totally reasonable plan. If you can, I would leave SF earlier to have more time in Monterey.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,308 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another itinerary, each one their own!

Ok. But I bet they would love to do the Santa Cruz Beach boardwalk in Summer and perhaps Elkhorn Slough. Do you not want to do Point Lobos ? Carmel beach

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,300 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another itinerary, each one their own!

Have you been to Point Lobos? Three main trails there take in lots of gorgeous scenery as well as some pretty interesting birds. Allow about 2-2.5 hours.

Centennial, Colorado
Level Contributor
455 posts
546 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another itinerary, each one their own!

I would love to do Santa Cruz ( I have great memories from my teen years) and Elkhorn Slough. If time permits, the husband and kids get out of bed a reasonable time (remember it is vacation) then we'll add those things, I don't think it's very likely that we'll be able to add Santa Cruz though. I wonder if it's changed in 20 years?

Yes I've been to Point Lobos as a teenager /early 20 something. We'll add those if time permits.

We do have 3 days to relax in San Diego after all of this so maybe we'll push up the itinerary and try to add some of these things. Thanks

5. Re: Another itinerary, each one their own!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2014, 05:18