We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

yosemite to big sur via cambria or monterey?

Which Big Sur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
PA
Level Contributor
62 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
yosemite to big sur via cambria or monterey?

Hi,

I have been going back and forth with this for some time now and need a bit of advice. We will be on a road trip from Las vegas to San francisco the end of June. 6/24 we will be leaving the wawona hotel to do mariposa grove & stopping in fresno ( if time allows ) for a site we want to see there.

My question is... from yosemite I planned on traveling to cambria and spending the night there, waking up the next morning and starting our drive up big sur to Monterey where we will spend the night. I've been looking at the map and was thinking maybe I should drive from yosemite to Big sur via carmel and spend the night in Big sur would be a better option because it would eliminate some driving? WIth this option we would be exactly where we want to be in the morning. For now, the most southern area I want to see is Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park.

Lodging I've been looking at in big sur are Deetjens, Big sur lodge and big sur river inn. Deetjens by far has the best reviews as the other too seem very iffy. However I did read a review that mentioned trails to waterfalls near big sur lodge and that would be something I'd be interested in. Of the three, I'd like to find one that has some trails or other things to do while we are there.

Thank you.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
585 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: yosemite to big sur via cambria or monterey?

I have never driven from Yosemite (or Fresno) to Big Sur or Cambria, but if driving directly to Big Sur saves you driving time, then that sounds like a good idea. Also, sounds like that plans allows you to stay overnight in Big Sur, which I always recommend versus just passing through.

However, here's another suggestion: Drive to Cambria, spend the night there and then drive up to Big Sur and spend the night there as well before you drive up to Carmel. Here are the reasons:

1. Cambria is pretty special. It would be nice if you could see it.

2. Driving from Cambria to Big Sur is magical. There's something about that long, flat stretch just north of Cambria where you first see the ocean, and the hairpin turns as you approach the southern edge of Big Sur. And don't worry...when I say "hairpin" turns, it's really not scary. But it provides the most gorgeous glimpses of turquoise water down below. If you drive from Carmel to Big Sur, you won't have that same excitement.

Of the three lodging options: Deetjens would be my first vote, and Big Sur Lodge second. But of the three, the only one that I've actually stayed at is Big Sur Lodge. I took a look at the River Inn once (back in 2004), and the rooms were depressing. I have also stayed at Glen Oaks, and I'd recommend considering that one as well. But Big Sur Lodge has the convenience of a general store onsite. And it is situated right on the Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park property (which is not the same park as Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park), so you avoid the park entrance fee by staying there. But even if you don't stay there, you can still go on the waterfall hike, which is probably the Pfeiffer Falls hike. I don't know if there will be much water falling in June, though. Regardless of where you stay, it will be easy to hike to your heart's content in Big Sur. But if you like the idea of leaving your car parked at the hotel and just walking from the hotel property to the trailheads, that's one benefit of Big Sur Lodge.

McWay Falls, as you probably already know is that gorgeous waterfall that actually falls into the ocean, and which is featured in photos all the time. To see that, you actually park at Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park and take an easy 10 minute walk (mostly paved) to a lookout point.

PA
Level Contributor
62 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: yosemite to big sur via cambria or monterey?

Oh this is making things hard to decide... I like your plan... go to cambria... then big sur... then monterey. I'll expand a bit more on my plans. I leave Yosemite on the morning of the 24th, like I mentioned before, I have to be in san francisco to drop the car on the 27th by 5pm, I have non refundable reservations there. That give me three nights... currently, I've got Big Sur, Monterey & santa cruz as my 3 nights in between Yosemite and SF. If I did the Cambria - Big Sur - Monterey, I'd have to eliminate either Santa cruz or monterey, any thoughts on that?

I like the Big Sur lodge because it's in the park and from what I understand we can access the trailheads from the lodge, this is great. Also, if we were coming from cambria, we'd have alot more time to spend there I am thinking. Going from Cambria to Big Sur, I'd like to hit Julia Pfeiffer , Jade cove, Nepenthe, Pfeiffer beach. At Big Sur, I'd like to do some of the hikes that are easily accessed from the lodge. The next morning, head to point lobos for some hiking, then head to Monterey or Santa cruz. Both reservations at Monterey & Santa Cruz are for nice B&B's that I'm looking forward too, would be hard to cancel one or the other.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,586 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: yosemite to big sur via cambria or monterey?

Santa Cruz is only 45 minutes from Monterey. You can just visit it on the way to San Francisco from Monterey. Keep your b & b in Monterey. Santa Cruz is less than 2 hours from the city, so you can see some things here on your way.

Here is a traveler article to give you some info.

http://tinyurl.com/y4hnbu9

4. Re: yosemite to big sur via cambria or monterey?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2014, 06:16