We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which part of PCH drive is the scary part?

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Topic
Which part of PCH drive is the scary part?

I am driving from San Franciso south on Hwy 1 all the way down, with a nervous driver. I think Ive read that the "scarier" part of the drive is in the Big Sur area. But I haven't been able to find anything on just how long the particularly nerve-wracking part is. Is this just a 15 minute stretch or the whole way? We don't want to bypass it (the whole point is the beautiful drive) but I was hoping to know when and for how long I should expect white knuckles. :) Thanks!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,644 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Which part of PCH drive is the scary part?

Freakin' a, compared to the Amalfi Coast Highway 1 looks like the Autobahn. There is nothing especially scary about it other than the distance between restrooms.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,233 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Which part of PCH drive is the scary part?

scottca075

LOL!! Seriously... I just laughed out loud. :-D

(I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that or I would be in need of a new keyboard!, hehe)

Edited: 10 July 2013, 17:16
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Which part of PCH drive is the scary part?

Dragonflyo3, if your boyfriend gets nervous, let him know it's *okay* to slow down ;-) You'll probably see a number of RVs which have to drive more slowly, but there is nothing wrong with cars driving more slowly as well. Just be courteous and use the paved turnouts to let traffic by when possible.

Relax and have a great trip!

LOL Scott :-)

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Which part of PCH drive is the scary part?

Haha, scottca075. I will pass along your words of encouragement!

He just recalls feeling like they were going to drive off a cliff and has no new experience to contradict that old experience yet. He'll be fine once he gets a few miles under his belt. In his defense, the entire vacation was his idea, so he can't be THAT worried about it. That, or he's a masochist.

At any rate, thanks again for the tips and for the patient answers to my silly question. :)

No worries about that lane closure -- sounds like it's not much of a delay, and just offers more time to take photos!

15. Re: Which part of PCH drive is the scary part?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2014, 06:18