We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

California trip

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
4 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
California trip

Am traveling to CA in May 2014. Flying into San Jose, CA in the morning and plan to stay at Glen Oaks Big Sur for the night. Are there things we can stop and see on our drive to Glen Oaks and Big Sur? We are then driving up to Monterey and staying 4 nights in Monterey. For our last night we are driving to Moss Landing to stay at the Captains Inn. Any suggestions for our drive to Big Sur would be helpful so we can enjoy the drive with stopping and visiting places along the way. Any suggestions for all the destinations are appreciated.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,833 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: California trip

Mjneenan's Big Sur Trip Report w/Photos (Click on California Coast June '11) Is on the right side of this page. Please see the photo blog. Also check the Monterey and Carmel forums for ideas on what to see and do

http://jrabold.net/bigsur/ has plenty of info

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,481 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: California trip

I am curious why you are spending 4 nights in Monterey and then a night in Moss Landing. They are only about 15 miles apart. Could it be to take a boat safari or kayak in Elkhorn Slough? If that, and because the Captain's Inn looks so charming, then I understand. Otherwise there is not much to do in Moss Landing and you could do the Elkhorn Slough from Monterey without changing lodgings.

Are you flying back to Ohio after that?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
4 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: California trip

Puter

..staying in Monterey for a conference, and Captain's Inn looked charming place to go for a change of pace after the conference. Yes, flying back to Ohio on Friday, so if you have another suggestion on a place to go between Monterey and San Jose that I shouldn't miss please let me know.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,733 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: California trip

Moss Landing, Monterey and Big Sur are all within 1 1/2 hours of each other. You're heading to Big Sur first, the furthest from SJC for only one night, but then have 4 nights in Monterey. Since you can easily visit the majority of sights on the drive back to Monterey from Big Sur, I would focus on getting to Big Sur to maximize your time there. Maybe a stop at Henry Cowell Redwoods or Santa Cruz for an an hour or so, but try not to linger any longer than that.

The sights you can take in on the drive back to Monterey after your night in Big Sur include Bixby Bridge, Garrapata State Park and Point Lobos State Park.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
4 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: California trip

Thank you for the link belomiser that was great!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
661 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: California trip

I agree that Moss Landing is close but if you want to switch, why not? I've enjoyed kayaking and seeing the seals (sea lions?) and more otters than you can shake a paddle at. We like eating at Phil's Fish Market.

I agree--if you want to see something different, Santa Cruz could be a good choice.

Edited: 13 August 2013, 01:03
7. Re: California trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2014, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Big Sur