We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Treebones too remote?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Treebones too remote?

We are traveling in March with two preteens (11 and 12) who love the outdoors, hiking, ect. Planning on spending two nights at Treebones, but am reading a lot about how remote it is. We like remote, and appreciate unique experiences, but want to make sure we are not going to be too off the beaten path. How far are the hikes that we would want to do? Are we talking a 30 minute drive or more like an hour? Appreciate any advice and insight!

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,416 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Treebones too remote?

Depends on where the hikes are you want to do and whether any storms have caused rock or mud slides before your visit and where, if a slide happens, it is located.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
661 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Treebones too remote?

I've never stayed at Treebones (I'm a wimp--I prefer the comfort of an in-room bathroom), but the friends that have stayed there from the SF Bay area, go to Treebones as a get-away resort. (upscale camping, or glamping). If the goal is to use it as a base to do sightseeing in and around Big Sur village, it might be a bit too far south. Of course, if you drive down from Monterey/Carmel, you can stop (and hike) the northern part of Big Sur on the day you drive down. Have you decided which hikes you'd like to do? There are nice ones at Julie Pfieffer State Park, which is on the southern side. Garapata and Andrew Molera State Parks have nice hikes but, if it was me, I would hike one of them on the day I drove down. Big Sur Lodge is within the Big Sur State Park. You can hike from your front door, but it doesn't feel as remote. Depends on what you'd prefer.

Mentioned in this post
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
Big Sur Lodge
Big Sur Lodge
584 Reviews
Big Sur, CA
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
507 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Treebones too remote?

Keep in mind that whenever you are driving to/from your accommodations, you'll be treated to beautiful views the whole time, with opportunities to pull out whenever you'd like, or whenever you'd like to allow the driver to see too! It's not like driving an hour anywhere else.

I would think that location would be fine if you choose to explore the points of interest to the south one day and then the points of interest to the north another.

Not sure if you are arriving from the N or the S ... also don't know if you are arriving the same way you are departing.

We considered Treebones, but since it was a parents-only trip we opted for Glen Oaks...but Treebones sounds like a great place to go with kids your ages.

Mentioned in this post
Glen Oaks Big Sur
Glen Oaks Big Sur
1,238 Reviews
Big Sur, CA
Richmond, California
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,418 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Treebones too remote?

Like everyone else said, we don't know what hikes you want to do. Which ones do you have in mind? The property is in a fantastic location, but for me the deal breaker is that you're limited to the onsite restaurant. Any other good restaurants are an hour's drive each way in Cambria or Big Sur village. For dinner that could mean a lot of driving at night. From March 9 when Daylight Saving Time begins the sun sets a little after 7.

Boston...
Level Contributor
47 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Treebones too remote?

I just got back from Treebones. I stayed there Sept 24th and 25th in one of the tent spaces, not a yurt. I really enjoyed it, great breakfasts and a view of the stars at night that you wouldn't believe. There are a ton of trails around the area within a 10 minute ride North or South. The staff will give you a whole handout on these trails. One is the Cruickshank trail which will take you up on top of a 1200' peak where you can get amazing views. Its a zig-zag type trail up the wide open hill, so great for families. You can make a good day trip out of driving South to Ragged Point Inn...absolutely amazing with hummingbirds and butterflies all over the grounds. There is a restaurant there too. You can go further South to San Simeon (Hearst Castle, elephant seal viewing)..and then go a little further South to a really cool town called Cambria. You can easily have an early dinner in Cambria and make it back to Treebones before dark. If you go North, 25 miles away is McWay falls. What would really be good is if you stayed for a couple of nights in the Northern Big Sur and then a few in the Southern Big Sur. That's what I did and I honestly liked the Southern Big Sur better. Less tourists and more access to the coast via some coastal trails.

Greenbelt, Maryland
Level Contributor
49 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Treebones too remote?

^^^I'm just going to piggyback on this post above me.

Treebones sounds like a Destination. Treat it like one, and not so much like a base to see other things. And even that said, there is much to see, not the least just driving along Route 1.

7. Re: Treebones too remote?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2015, 07:15