We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time in Big Sur - RV camping question

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
1st time in Big Sur - RV camping question

I'm planning a 3-4 night trip to Big Sur over Thanksgiving and have a few questions.

I'm going to rent a juicy van which is an RV style vehicle but the size of a mini van. What are the best camp sites to park at? I am open to switching locations in the middle as well. Is it best to reserve a spot In anticipation of more crowds because of thanksgiving?

I've never been to Big Sur and am coming from Los Angeles so any recommendations on what areas to visit or any must sees would be much appreciated.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,251 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time in Big Sur - RV camping question

You might want to start on the southern end of Big Sur with a one or two night stay at Limekiln State Park, then move up closer to the "village" area with a one or two night stay at Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park.

Some of the highlights of the Big Sur coast include:

The elephant seal rookery a few miles north of Hearst Castle

Ragged Point

McWay Falls @ Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park

Nepenthe/Phoenix Shop

Pfeiffer Beach

Pfeiffer Falls Trail @ Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park

Andrew Molera State Park

If possible, do book ahead.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,485 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time in Big Sur - RV camping question

Hi Michelle L, this website might help you. It's reviews of RV parks and campgrounds only, no hotels:

As you can see, the link is already on the Big Sur page, but you can also use it for other areas you might visit. I would book ahead for Thanksgiving weekend!

Level Contributor
47 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time in Big Sur - RV camping question

Kirk Creek campground is a beautiful campground right on a bluff overlooking the Pacific on the Southern Big Sur coast. You will also have beach access right there.

4. Re: 1st time in Big Sur - RV camping question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2014, 05:17