We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sf to la two days, plan suggestions

Which Big Sur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Sf to la two days, plan suggestions

Hi

I have two full days to drive from sf to la, I would like to drive down ca 1, where should I stay ? What is the must see?

Thanks a lot!

Gaogao

Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Sf to la two days, plan suggestions

maybe I should just skip hollywood, and do it next time...

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,024 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Sf to la two days, plan suggestions

Yeah, the problem is the time of year. Daylight hours are short, which seriously limits your sightseeing ability. IF you linger in the areas above Big Sur too long, you could end up driving the Big Sur coast in the dark, which defeats the purpose of making the drive in the first place (All that great scenery).

IF you skip Hollywood, you could spend a night in Monterey/Carmel and another in Cambria and then head to Vegas from Cambria via Highway 46 East toward Bakersfield and connect with Highway 58 East through Tehachapi to Barstow and connect with I-15 to Vegas.

Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Sf to la two days, plan suggestions

So nothing is worth seeing along the coast from Cambria to la?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,270 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Sf to la two days, plan suggestions

Sure there is . Did you check the top questions on the CA forum on the drive. Morro bay Pismo beach. Wineries in the Santa Barbara area. Solvang , Santa Barbara, Ojai, parts of Ventura coast,.

The question is not if there is enough to see. How many extra days do you have and what are your interests?

Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Sf to la two days, plan suggestions

Thank you ! I only have 3 full days from sf to lv, so I want to take the best advantage of it

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,024 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Sf to la two days, plan suggestions

It isn't that there isn't anything worth seeing, it's just that was IS there isn't nearly as dramatic as what you'll see in the Monterey/Carmel area and the Big Sur coast.

I would say Santa Barbara is probably the highlight of the drive between Cambria and LA. Morro Rock is kinda cool, too! The majority of that drive, however, is inland on fast moving, multi lane highway/freeway.

Morro Bay...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Sf to la two days, plan suggestions

Morro Bay is about midway between LA and SF. It's a good place to stop for lunch, early dinner, shopping, and of course panoramic views. We also have plenty of lodging options if you decide to stay the night.

18. Re: Sf to la two days, plan suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2014, 06:20