We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! I need a nice route from San Francisco to Los Angeles

Caracas, Venezuela
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Help! I need a nice route from San Francisco to Los Angeles

Hello! My husband and I are traveling from San Francisco to Los Angeles and I urgently need some help and advise on where to go, where to sleep, eat and have the most wonderful time. We are renting a car and we estimate we have between 3 to 4 nights to spare on our journey. We would love to travel through the 17 mile highway and appreciate every special view/place we have to visit (time permiting). This is our first time in California and have been advise to visit Carmel, Monterey, San Luis Obispo, San Simeon...I don't know what to dooooo!!!

Thanks! Diana

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,575 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! I need a nice route from San Francisco to Los Angeles

Hi Diana

3 to 4 nights between SF to LA will net you a nice, relaxed paced trip down the coast.

IF you have 4 nights, i would divide it up this way:

Monterey/Carmel: 2 nights (Beautiful area. Lots to see/do)

Cambria: 1 night

Santa Barbara: 1 night

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

When you leave SF, you can enjoy the coastal drive down to Santa Cruz. Enjoy a walk on the beach, maybe a ride or two at the boardwalk (if open) or head a few miles in to Henry Cowell Redwoods and walk the short loop trail under the tall magnificent trees.

While in Monterey, visit Point Lobos State Reserve a few miles south of Carmel. Then backtrack into Carmel and walk the beautiful beach, browse the quaint shops, visit the Monterey Bay Aquarium late afternoon, Cannery Row. Walk the rec trail along the Pacific Grove shoreline.

When you leave Monterey for the spectacular drive through Big Sur, you can enjoy stops at Bixby Bridge, Pfeiffer Beach, have lunch at Nepenthe, McWay Falls @ Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park, Ragged Point, the elephant seal rookery near the Piedras Blancas Lighthouse. Check into hotel along Moonstone Beach Drive... walk the wooden boardwalk along Moonstone Beach at sunset. Enjoy a nice dinner in town: Robin's, Sow's Ear, Madeline's, Old Stone Station, Moonstone Beach Bar & Grill.

Next morning, take an early tour of Hearst Castle. Continue to Santa Barbara, enjoying stops in Morro Bay, Pismo Beach and/or Solvang.

Drive times WITHOUT stops:

SF to Monterey: 3 hours via Highway 1

Monterey to Cambria: 3 hours

Cambria to Santa Barbara: 2 1/2 hours

Santa Barbara to LA: 2 hours

Edited: 24 March 2014, 00:42
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,358 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! I need a nice route from San Francisco to Los Angeles

Kibbles has given you a great itinerary. Here is a traveler article on Santa Cruz on your way to Monterey. they are only 45 minutes apart.

http://tinyurl.com/cy7nl3c

Personally, i would skip the 17 mile drive. It seems to me that it is intended for people who 1) are not going to drive the spectacular Big Sur Coast or 2) are enamored of golf courses and expensive houses. Do Point Lobos instead while you are in that area.

Edited: 24 March 2014, 05:09
3. Re: Help! I need a nice route from San Francisco to Los Angeles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2015, 05:15