My husband and I are from the UK and doing our US trip in May. Here is our itinerary so far:
- Day 1: Fly from JFK to SFO. Pick up picnic food and a (convertible YAY!) car at the airport at 2pm. Drive to Point Lobos, prob get there at 4pm. Hike around and eat until sunset. Check in (already booked) B&B in Carmel.
- Day 2: Watch sunrise at Carmel beach (if we can get up early enough!) and leave Carmel at 8:30. Stop at Bixby Bridge and Pfeiffer beach. Early lunch at Nepenthe at 11:30 (to avoid queues) or do McWay Falls before lunch. After that, Ragged Point, Elephant Seal Rockery and Hearst Castle (last tour available on that day is at 3:40pm). Check in (already booked) B&B in Cambria.
- Day 3: Leave Cambria at 8:30 and drive back to SFO. The car is due at 2pm.
Some questions I have:
- Is it realistic to estimate the drive from SFO to Point Lobos about 2 hours (this is according to Google map)? If we get to Point Lobos later than 4pm, is it still worth it to go in that afternoon? Or should we move it to the next morning and skip something else in Day 2? I checked and the sunset time in May in Carmel is about 8pm so I think we still have plenty of time to hike some of Point Lobos.
- Is it safe to park along the Highway so we don't have to pay for parking in the parks?
- We're going to book the Hearst Castle tour at 3:40pm for Day 2. Can we make it there in time for the tour?
- Lastly, can we depend on SatNav to tell us the points of interest in this area? Last time we didn't write where things are in Lake District, England and SatNav failed us a few times. We had to guess if we had reach a point of interest or not and one time couldn't find the way to one of the point of interest (3G signal was sucky, too). Is it the same case along Big Sur?
Thank you for your help. I've learned so much from reading the posts on here.