We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling from San Fran to Big Sur and back.

Which Big Sur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Yardley, pa
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
traveling from San Fran to Big Sur and back.

Flying from Philly to SF wit the family. Spending 2 nights at the argonaut, then driving to Santa Cruz to spend one night. Then driving to Big Sur to spend 2 nights at TreeBones. Last night back in SF. Does this sound crazy? Doable? Any recommendations?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling from San Fran to Big Sur and back.

Sounds perfect. Check

http://jrabold.net/bigsur/

And Watch out for poison oak

Edited: 25 March 2014, 17:23
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,281 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling from San Fran to Big Sur and back.

Sounds like a great trip. I've always wanted to stay at Treebones, but never have. Let us know how you like it.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,063 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: traveling from San Fran to Big Sur and back.

Just be aware that Treebones is located on the remote south end of the Big Sur coast. It isn't near the "village" area or the main Big Sur sights. Plus, you're pretty much limited to dining at their restaurant, as it's a long drive up to and back from where the bulk of dining options can be found. Highway 1 isn't a comfortable drive after dark, either, so keep that in mind.

BTW-The sign for Treebones isn't the easiest to spot after dark. It's easy enough to miss in broad daylight!

Edited: 25 March 2014, 23:54
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,971 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: traveling from San Fran to Big Sur and back.

Here is a traveler article about Santa Cruz.

http://tinyurl.com/cy7nl3c

When will you be here? And do you have lodging reservations now? If so, please let me know where so that I can advise you whether it is an acceptable area. If not, I can make some suggestions.

It sounds like a very nice trip.

Yardley, pa
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: traveling from San Fran to Big Sur and back.

do you think it's worth it to spend two nights there? I'm ok with being "stuck" there as long as it's good. Seems to have good reviews. Are there things to do in this area?

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,281 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: traveling from San Fran to Big Sur and back.

I think it is definitely worth staying at Treebones for 2 nights. Just know that it is remote from civilization. Its all about that natural scenery there.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: traveling from San Fran to Big Sur and back.

Enjoy. A list of attractions can be found at tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c182762/Califo…

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,063 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: traveling from San Fran to Big Sur and back.

"....Are there things to do in this area?"....

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You''ll have to drive some distance to get to places, but some of the closer places include the Salmon Creek Trail (To the south) and Limekiln State Park (To the north).

Further up.... Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park where McWay Falls and the Ewoldson Trail are located and bit further more, the "village" of Big Sur, which includes access to Pfeiffer Beach and Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park. All of which would make a nice day trip from Treebones. Just make sure you get back to Treebones before it gets dark. The turn off can be easy to miss after dark.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,063 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: traveling from San Fran to Big Sur and back.

Okay... just realized you're coming down from SF, so you can see the northern sights of Big Sur as you make your way down to Treebones. So.... that being said, I'll give you a list of things to see/so south of Treebones, as well.

I already mentioned Salmon Creek Trail... a pleasant hike along a stream up to a seasonal waterfall. If you continue south on Highway 1, you'll come upon Ragged Point. Ragged Point is a commercial property, but offers commanding views of Big Sur coastline form the back of the property. It also has this really cool, but super steep trail down to a secluded beach. If you're young and fit, it's a fun climb down and back up.

If you continue south from Ragged Point, you'll come upon an elephant seal rookery just past the Piedras Blancas Lighthouse. You'll see the large seals just laying out on the beaches as you drive by. There's ample parking and boardwalks overlooking the seals. Fences are there to protect the mammals from curious humans and to protect the humans from the seals.

A few miles from the seals is Hearst Castle. You might enjoy a tour of William Randolph Hearst's estate, along with walking the amazing grounds after your tour ends. The views from the hill top are breathtaking! IF you're lucky, you might even see zebras grazing on Hearst Ranch property while you're there.

Edited: 30 March 2014, 00:31
philadelphia
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: traveling from San Fran to Big Sur and back.

Just saw your post as I am researching that same for our trip in May. We are planning to drive down to Big Sur from San Fran, staying one day in Monterey, although now I am trying to get accommodations in Big Sur area instead.....seems impossible for I night, but want to go all the way down then turn around next day...any ideas for one night hotel stay??