We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big sur closed on 27th April- help!

Which Big Sur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
East Anglia
Level Contributor
342 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Big sur closed on 27th April- help!

Big sur marathon

Hello all I'm bringing my wife to California for her 30th birthday, this will be our first visit to the states, we will be driving from San Francisco to San Diego however all hotels are booked and paid for. When we will be driving down the big Sur is unfortunately I've discovered when the marathon is due to take place on 27.04.14.

I'm a little upset by this can anyone help and let me know how long the road will be closed for, we will be in Monterrey on the 26th and leaving there on the 27th to head off to pismo beach which we were going to drive the big Sur at this point.

How long will the road be closed for what can we do while we wait and how long will it take for us to drive from Monterrey to pismo beach will there be enough daylight hours and enough time to take in big Sur? I really thank everyone for their input this is meant to be a trip of a lifetime for my wife's 30th and I really want the trip to be perfect thanks everyone!

Kam

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,287 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Big sur closed on 27th April- help!

I agree that waiting is better, but didn't know if maybe the OP had some reason they couldn't wait. But yes, if you can, wait until you can make stops as desired. I probably pull out every 100 feet on parts of that route!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Big sur closed on 27th April- help!

joining the convoy sounds like a horrible idea although i'm sure the traffic will be horrible too, later in the day but at lease you can stop when you want to. have you checked if you could cancel your hotels at no cost and maybe move the dates/stops by a day or two?

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,423 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Big sur closed on 27th April- help!

As a frequent visitor to the Monterey Peninsula, I can assure the OP that leaving around 1 pm is an okay time to get started on the drive down the coast. They'll have almost 7 hours to get down the Big Sur coast before it gets dark, so quite doable (The drive without stops is less than 3 hours. The Big Sur drive, that is. It's another 1 1/2 hour drive to Pismo once off the elevated section of highway).

I hope they wait for open highway and don't opt for the convoy. The convoy is designed to allow locals to get to work or their homes in Big Sur or vice versa (Big Sur to Carmel/Monterey).

Edited: 28 March 2014, 15:13
14. Re: Big sur closed on 27th April- help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2015, 05:16