We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Monterey and making day trips to Big Sur?

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Monterey and making day trips to Big Sur?

Hi. I am thinking of visiting Big Sur for the first time in September. I am on a budget, but don't want to camp. I am considering staying in Monterey and just making day trips to Big Sur each day for a long weekend. I will be driving down to do hikes in the Pfeiffer Big Sur area and maybe more a little further south. I was wondering if someone has experience doing this and if the driving was too much to do it that way. Thanks for your time. I appreciate it!

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
28,400 posts
6,004 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Monterey and making day trips to Big Sur?

As long as you are going to Pfeiffer State Park and back it is a very reasonable drive to do in a day from Monterey and back an enjoy your hiking. Good planning on your part - Enjoy!

Shell Beach...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Monterey and making day trips to Big Sur?

Yes, that's totally doable. This link might give you some ideas of things to see and do.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i14592-Big_Sur_…

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Monterey and making day trips to Big Sur?

Why not drive all the way through Big Sur and stay in San Simeon (budget options are available there) and then back up Highway 101 making a stop at the lovely San Antonio de Padua Mission? (It's about 25 miles off Highway 101).

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Monterey and making day trips to Big Sur?

Thank you so much for all of the information! This is all so helpful and I appreciate your time. Thats a great idea too WhiteDahlia! I will also consider doing that. Thank you!!

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
625 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Monterey and making day trips to Big Sur?

Have you heard of Esalen? I don't know if this is your style or not, but it's one of my favorite places on earth. It's in Big Sur, on a stunning expanse of land overlooking the ocean. It's a place where you can take workshops, but you can also stay there for a personal retreat without booking a workshop. The lowest price for personal retreats is in a bunk-bed room (with up to three other people) for $130 per night on weeknights, and $140 per night on weekends. You can also opt for a 2-person room. If you're traveling alone, they will pair you up with a roommate. The personal retreat rates include all meals, which are served in the lodge and are super delicious and healthy. Your stay there also includes yoga/movement classes in the mornings, and use of the natural hot spring tubs, which overlook the stunning ocean. (The tubs are clothing optional.)

The Esalen grounds are gorgeous, and it's well located in Big Sur for going hiking and exploring each day.

It's a really incredible place. Maybe not the right style for everyone, but if you want to check it out, here is the page with the rates: http://www.esalen.org/page/personal-retreat

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Monterey and making day trips to Big Sur?

Hi thanks so much for this information and for the link! I will check it out. :) Thanks again.

Greenbelt, Maryland
Level Contributor
49 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Monterey and making day trips to Big Sur?

My second time to Big Sur I stayed in Marina and Cambria and did daytrips to the Sur from both places. It's easily doable; from either locale you will see lots of beautiful stuff in a day. Pfeiffer-Big Sur - a beautiful park where I camped four nights on my last trip - is easily accessible from Monterey. Start as early as you can to minimize the percentage that the Monterey-Carmel stretch - which can be borderline nightmarish, but generally only in the a.m. - will take of your day.

Edited: 26 May 2014, 01:06
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in Monterey and making day trips to Big Sur?

Thank you for your message. I will be sure to start out early and be careful driving. Thanks again. :)

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,733 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying in Monterey and making day trips to Big Sur?

"....Start as early as you can to minimize the percentage that the Monterey-Carmel stretch - which can be borderline nightmarish,".....

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Donn is trying to warn you about the hellacious traffic getting through the Carmel area on Highway 1. At one point, the southbound lanes merge into one lane, which creates a lot of gridlock.

10. Re: Staying in Monterey and making day trips to Big Sur?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2015, 07:15
Get answers to your questions about Big Sur