We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused about Hwy1 route

Which Big Sur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Confused about Hwy1 route

Is the scenic route from SF to Carmel to Big Sur? Or is it from Carmel to San Luis Obisbo.....

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,605 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused about Hwy1 route

It's from Monterey to Big Sur. How many days after Reno do you have before you fly home? Or is that flexible? I understand you are trying to find something to do after your tourney. Still considering Yosemite, SF, Tahoe or something mixed? If you give folks more information, maybe we can suggest something.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused about Hwy1 route

we have from July 14th to July 18th....three kids 11, 13 and 15. But we also have to keep on a budget and prices out here are really high for what you get....at least by what I am use to....so having a bit of a sticker shock. So trying to think of destinations that are low cost to free, like Golden Gate Park, walking the Fishermans Wharf or a Scenic byway with cute towns. Im just looking at all options. Reno flights are 1/2 the cost to CHicago then flying out of any town in Calif......so no Im looking back at Yosemite, but avail is very little........might just head home after and savethe money....lol

Edited: 20 May 2014, 08:15
LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused about Hwy1 route

You could also travel down the eastern Sierras from Reno and stay in Mammoth. Plenty of chain accommodations there.

Go to the Mammoth Lakes forum and go to the green bar on top for Hotels and reviews.

That drive is beautiful and there is much to see along 395- Bodie Ghost Town State Park, Mono Lake, Devil's Postpile National Monument

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused about Hwy1 route

+1 on Mammoth -- assuming you have already visited Lake Tahoe. Lots of nice ski condos for cheap during the summer for $100+

Teenagers will like hiking up Panum Crater (shages of LOTR), and hiking among the tufas at Mono Lake. Devils Postpile NM has entrance fee/shuttle but you can avoid the shuttle by visiting late and then going for sunset at Mineret Vista. Then also spend a day trip at Yosemite's Tioga Road and climb up a dome.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,605 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused about Hwy1 route

That's not enough time in the area to do it justice and drive back to Reno without being rushed. You're probably not going to like the summer prices either along the coast.

I agree if Yosemite doesn't work out (folks plan months to a yr out), look at Mammoth and Tahoe. Mammoth and Eastern Sierras has a lot to offer (biking and hiking) and definitely within your budget with your familiar chains and ski condos as mentioned. You can do Yosemite High Country (one hour away) and a LONG day trip to Yosemite Valley (2hrs+ each way).

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,372 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confused about Hwy1 route

This has become two questions....

Hwy 1 is scenic much of its length... but it is at its best south from Monterey, to Cambria, a bit north of San Luis.... but if short of time the section south from San Francisco is good as well, particularly if you park at Devil's Slide and hike along the old road, on the cliffs high above the rocks below... Princeton Harbor and Half Moon Bay are cute little towns... you can stop in Santa Cruz for a different vibe...

Alternately, Heading south from Reno offers lots... The Nevada State Railroad museum in Carson City and the old Mining town of Virginia City nearby... furlther, the Ghost town at Bodie, Mono Lake and the tufa towers. You could drive into Yosemite from the east, over Tioga Pass even if only to Toulomne Meadows for the day... It would give the kids a chance to see a high alpine meadow... its at about 8,500'...

You can also look for lodging at June Lake... It might be a bit cheaper than Mamouth....

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Confused about Hwy1 route

Thanks so much for all this help. We dont plan on going back to Reno. We will drive from Reno, looking at options to take in all the beauty. We are hoping Yosemite, a day /night and maybe King Canyon for some giant trees! Thought we would then hike to the byway.....I will check on just starting at around Cambria...save some time. We havent decided on the rest.....so much to consider....we would fly out of San Jose, or SF....home. Just depnds where we want to stop....we may skip SF...as my teen really is hoping for beach action....so we may quite in Monterey take in the wharf there....

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,413 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Confused about Hwy1 route

"...as my teen really is hoping for beach action....so we may quite in Monterey take in the wharf there...."...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You want Santa Cruz for that. Monterey's beach isn't the best for beaching it.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,605 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Confused about Hwy1 route

Yes agree on Santa Cruz. Ok flying out of SJC or OAK would make this much more feasible. Please do take my suggestion and put this ALL in one thread and repost in the CA forum to help folks help you.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Confused about Hwy1 route

not sure how to repost this entire thread.....but agreed this is a road trip sort of post. I just try for details in each area....