We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Sur Camping Advice for an out of towner

New York City, New...
11 posts
Save Topic
Big Sur Camping Advice for an out of towner

Hi guys! I am planning a long weekend getaway for me and my girl in a couple weeks and staying in Monterey and would love to camp for a night or two in one of the Big Sur camp grounds. Any suggestions? I have read through and searched on this forum and others but am having trouble deciding if this is a good idea and possible.

I am from NYC and we do not have a tent or other gear. Has anyone had experience renting gear? I have searched on google and found a few places near SF, but I would love to hear your local personal suggestions for rentals and camp grounds and hikes. Thank you so much in advance for your help!

New York City, New...
11 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Big Sur Camping Advice for an out of towner

Thank you Chinita.. it's hard to tell on the internet and this is my first time posting here! I hope she appreciates it too lol. After researching it seems it would be a hassle and a possible waste of time if we cannot find a campsite so I have decided to forget about camping. I still want to plan a Big Sur day trip. Wake up early and drive from Monterey. I have looked at lists and other threads but any example itineraries for a day trip? I appreciate all your help again

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
19,640 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Big Sur Camping Advice for an out of towner

See this traveler's article. If doing a day trip from Monterey, most people stop at McWay Falls. But if you are young and energetic and want to see the elephant seals, then plan a little more time for that.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c182762/Califo…

I will bet it will be cool and windy in the evenings. Bring or buy a fleece blanket at CVS/Walgreens etc so you can snuggle at the beach for your quality romance time. I have seen many Carmel restaurants with fleece throws for their patios. Pack a picnic for your daytrip as there are very few eating spots. Picnic along a nice view spot.

Edited: 10 June 2014, 03:18
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,221 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Big Sur Camping Advice for an out of towner

Start at Point Lobos State Reserve. Get there as close to opening as possible (It gets crowded the later in the day it gets and parking inside the park is limited. *Hint* Save your entry stub for free entrance in up to 3 CA State Parks on the same day). Spend 2-3 hours. Yeah.. it's THAT special!!

Bixby Bridge: 10-15 minute photo op

Pfeiffer Falls Trail inside Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park: 1+ hours

Pfeiffer Beach: 1+ hours

Nepenthe: 1+ hours for lunch

Partington Cove: 1 hour

McWay Falls/Ewoldson Trail @ Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park: 2-3 hours

Return to Monterey. If it's early enough, stop at Andrew Molera State Park on the return trip

New York City, New...
11 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Big Sur Camping Advice for an out of towner

Thanks everyone! This is exactly what I was looking for! <3

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,083 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Big Sur Camping Advice for an out of towner

Too bad you couldn't find a campground, spending 1 night camping would either show you how much you (and your gal) love or hate this activity! But camping does require more than just a tent so I think you are wise to wait until you have more time, get the right campground and get gear together. . Maybe do some camping closer to home!

Lower Gear rents and ships camping gear to your location, Check them out. http://www.lowergear.com/

16. Re: Big Sur Camping Advice for an out of towner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 05:17