We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle to San Fran - lots of Q's! :)

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
67 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Seattle to San Fran - lots of Q's! :)

We are planning on a trip from Seattle to San Fran. Would Oct or Nov be a better month? We are used to rain but would prefer sun. ;) This is what we're thinking of for Itinerary. Now, we're looking to see the BEST redwoods on our way down and I assume avenue of the giants is the best?

We'll be taking Highway 5 and then we're thinking of getting off on 20 and driving along the coat from that point on. When we return back to Seattle, we're just going to be taking Highway 5. Where is the best place to stay on the way back up? I see Redding and Red Bluff, but those don't seem very exciting. Hmmm...

Itinerary:

Seattle to Eureka (stay the night)

Eureka to Avenue of the Giants

Avenue of the Giants to Muir Woods (is Muir Woods worth the stop?)

Muir Woods to San Francisco (stay the night)

spend the day in San Francisco (stay the night)

Drive to Carmel and spend day there (stay the night)

Drive to Big Sur and spend day there, drive back to Caramel (stay the night)

Drive through San Fran - hit whatever we missed and drive 3-4 hours and find hotel (not sure where?)

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Redding
Redding
California
Red Bluff
Red Bluff
California
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
66,735 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seattle to San Fran - lots of Q's! :)

Oops. You have accidentally posted on the Big Sur forum. I recommend using the California state forum and the Oregon state forum (if you're considering seeing anything in Oregon ... if it's just a drive-through visit, don't post there.)

You'll also want to post on the San Francisco (abbreviated SF) forum. Read the Top questions on each of those forums for some fabulous tips (where to stay w/ a car in SF, what to see and do along Hwy 1, Coastal Redwoods, and more.)

California: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28926-i29-Califor…

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,993 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seattle to San Fran - lots of Q's! :)

You'll be surprised by Redding: mercurynews.com/eat-drink-play/ci_25707518/r… Plus you can take a quick side trip to Mt Lassen off I-5.

Ave of the Giants (really Humboldt Redwood State Park) is great but the redwoods further north are also spectacular and worth visiting along the way. So plan to stop also at Redwood National/State Parks by Crescent City, Klamath and Orick. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c195829/Califo…

Then skip Muir Woods -- given you've already seen the "big ones" up north.

Mentioned in this post
Redding
Redding
California
Crescent City
Crescent City
California
Klamath
Klamath
California
Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
67 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seattle to San Fran - lots of Q's! :)

Oops! Sorry about that! Thanks so much for the great tips though. Will do! :)

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
67 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seattle to San Fran - lots of Q's! :)

Mt Lassen looks gorgeous! We will definitely have to check this out and possibly stay in Redding. I also REALLY appreciate your help about the redwoods. I've got all your info noted. We're so excited! Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Redding
Redding
California
5. Re: Seattle to San Fran - lots of Q's! :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2015, 07:15