We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drving from LA - have travel itinerary problem

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
626 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Drving from LA - have travel itinerary problem

I'm stuck as to what to do:

I will be in Cali already when my beau arrives on a Sunday night at 9:00 p.m., LAX. We have reservations the next night in Big Sur. Originally we thought we would crash in LA for a night, then make the drive the next day to Big Sur. However, I figure it's about a six hour-drive? (if anyone can tell me best route, please let me know). I would like to get to Big Sur around noon-ish - so we can have lunch, spend the afternoon at either Point Lobos or Pfeiffer Beach, then relax at Treebones Resort. The next day we would do the other (Point Lobos or Pfeiffer Beach) before leaving for Sonoma in late afternoon, early evening.

Are we better off leaving LA very early in the morning, so we can take a coastal drive, or leaving LA on Sunday night, driving halfway, and crashing in a budget hotel somewhere, then finishing the drive in the a.m.?

Thanks in advance! The folks on these boards make tripadvisor what it is!

Mentioned in this post
Big Sur
Big Sur
California
Pfeiffer Beach
Pfeiffer Beach
1,152 Reviews
Big Sur, CA
Sonoma
Sonoma
Sonoma County, CA
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
29,881 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drving from LA - have travel itinerary problem

Getting to Big Sur in a few hours from LA is not a problem, at all. If it's raining, there's potential for problems. If it's not raining, it's about 4 hours. Leave LA at 8AM.

Mentioned in this post
Big Sur
Big Sur
California
Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,394 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drving from LA - have travel itinerary problem

Point Lobos is closer to Carmel than to Big Sur, so I'd suggest that you go to Pfeiffer while in Big Sur. Then, on your way to Sonoma, you'll go north on 1 through the Monterey area. Point Lobos is just south of Carmel on Hway 1. It takes about 45 minutes from Big Sur to Point Lobos. If you leave Big Sur in the morning (say at 10:00), you can walk around Point Lobos and have a late lunch in the Carmel area. You might want to explore the area a bit before driving on to Sonoma.

Mentioned in this post
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
Big Sur
Big Sur
California
Pfeiffer Beach
Pfeiffer Beach
1,152 Reviews
Big Sur, CA
Sonoma
Sonoma
Sonoma County, CA
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Portola Valley...
Level Contributor
163 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drving from LA - have travel itinerary problem

Leave LA really early at Sunrise and have a late lunch around Big Sur! It may be foggy - but take the coast route its vastly improved between Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo so you should be able to do that part quite quickly.

Hopefully the camper vans that are so difficult to pass will be rare for the area closer to Big Sur.

The Devil's slide (just north of Half Moon Bay) is now open - so if its not foggy you could do Rte 1 all the way from Big Sur to San Francisco and then across the Golden Gate to Sonoma.

Look for sea otters in the kelp at Pt Lobos.

Mentioned in this post
Big Sur
Big Sur
California
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
San Luis Obispo
San Luis Obispo
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Half Moon Bay
Half Moon Bay
California
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Golden Gate Park
Golden Gate Park
8,396 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Sonoma
Sonoma
Sonoma County, CA
4. Re: Drving from LA - have travel itinerary problem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 02:17