We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short visit to Big Sur-what is a must?

New York, NY
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Short visit to Big Sur-what is a must?

I will be driving through Big Sur and will only have maybe half a day to spend there. What are a few sites I should see and a great place for lunch? Thanks!

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,367 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short visit to Big Sur-what is a must?

Here is a site that will help:http://www.bigsurcalifornia.org/beaches.html

My two favorite places are Pfeiffer State Beach and Andrew Molera State Park. For lunch, I enjoy Nepenthe or Cielo at Ventana Inn as they both have spectacular views and reasonably good food.

Minocqua, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
73 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short visit to Big Sur-what is a must?

I'd suggest that you stop at the grocery store in Carmel, get one of their great sandwiches, pick up some fresh fruit and a soda and head to Andrew Molora State Park. Hike almost to the ocean and then make the right turn up the marked hill. On the way you will see a bench that overlooks the area. On a decent day it will beat any restaurant. Stretch that half day by a few hours and take a hike through the redwoods at Pfeiffer a few miles to the south and buy yourself an ice cream cone at the store on the way out.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
626 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short visit to Big Sur-what is a must?

this is north of Big Sur, but my fave was Point Lobos.

I also liked Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park (is that the one with the secret road?) It's confusing with 3 parks named Pfeiffer!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,044 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short visit to Big Sur-what is a must?

I like Nepenthe for lunch. It is not tied to a hotel and you climb up to the cliff edge and decide whether to eat inside or outside. (You can also choose a spot lower down, but what fun is that? Sitting at a table on the edge is magical). My understanding is that the gift shop here was a house owned by Rita Hayworth and Orson Welles. (would somebody tell me if that is true or a myth?

5. Re: Short visit to Big Sur-what is a must?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 14:20