We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Four days in South Bohemia

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Four days in South Bohemia

After a few nights in Olomouc, I'll be rent a car and spend four days mostly in South Bohemia. I will pick up the car probably in Brno and will start in Telč, then perhaps two nights in Český Krumlov and maybe one night in České Budějovice, then drive up to Prague. My main interest is scenic photography and exploring nice towns. A nice national park or natural area might be nice as well. Any suggestions? I know there are a good number of castles in the area. Any other towns in South Bohemia I should not miss, at least for a few hours?

I'm considering a visit to Karlovy Vary as well - either before returning to Prague but I might do that as a day trip from Prague instead of driving.

Cesky Krumlov Castle
Castles, Historic Sites
Castle Blatna
Castles, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Statni Hrad Landstejn
Castles, Points of Interest & Landmarks
9 replies to this topic
the Czech Republic
Level Contributor
721 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Four days in South Bohemia

I suggest spending two nights in Cesky Krumlov but visiting Cesky Budejovice only for several hours and not spending the night there (it is only a 20-minute drive from Cesky Krumlov and there is no need to spend the night there).

There is a lovely national park not far from Cesky Krumlov called Sumava.

http://www.npsumava.cz/en/

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Four days in South Bohemia

For your Q. "Any other towns in South Bohemia I should not miss, at least for a few hours?"

Slavonice, Jindrichuv Hradec

If you like nature, then Ceska Kanada (Czech or Bohemian Canada) region; you could google it + photos, or have a look at this blog:

…blog.cz/1111/hrad-choustnik-s-rozhlednou

to see the photos, the best way is to double click on the title or venue (e.g. Hrad Choustnik) & use F11 function key to see it in full screen. That is just one example... Panoraimo & Youtube will have more, as well as TA...

Other areas - castles & ruins of castles: Landstejn, Bitov, Vranov, etc. (also check Znojmo on TA - blog...

Very picturesque is the area south of Nova Bystrice where Perslak Hotel is situated (Novy Vojirov). For many years it was "No man's land - basically so close to Austrian border, only soldiers & border guards lived there...Very unspoilt...

But with only 4 days, you might have to choose just a few spots...

www.youtube.com/watch…

http://www.hradlandstejn.cz/fotogalerie.html

Google Slavonice+photos

travelsinparadise.com/czech/…index.html

ceskatelevize.cz/porady/… In Cz - use google translate

Edited: 17 August 2012, 18:15
Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
643 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Four days in South Bohemia

Not easy to give just one choice....

You have 4 days and 3 nights?

Agree with Oldřiška - better to have 2 nights in Český Krumlov than your first plan.

Agree with Sophie too - Slavonice, Česká Kanada - not so touristy, guiet.

On the other side, not possible to see everything in 4 days...

Combination of the suggestions can be:

Day 1: from Brno to Telč + Česká Kanada + Slavonice, overnight somewhere there ( Třebíč and Jewish ghetto there can be also interesting ).

Day 2: from Slavonice to České Budějovice + Český Krumlov / overnight.

On the way the stop at Třeboň or Jinřichův Hradec, both places are nice.

Day 3: Český Krumlov + overnight there.

Day 4 - on the way to Prague a lot... what do you prefer? Castles, towns,lakes, history, religious place??? You will have a time to decide, what to do ... Think also about the days of your trip. If you want to see some castles or museums inside, they are closed on Monday usually.

Karlovy vary - one day trip from Prague is a good idea. If you decide to do it during your 4 days trip, the itinerary has to be completely changed ....

Hope, it helps?

Best regards

Hana

Edited: 20 August 2012, 08:02
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Four days in South Bohemia

Thank you, Hana, Sophie, and Oldriska. Yes, it is all very helpful. I found a section in a travel book about the castles in South Bohemia, so now I am thinking about trying to see some of those including the ones you mention, Hana.

I may spend my first night in Třeboň. Yes, I will probably do two nights in Český Krumlov and a day trip to Karlovy Vary later, after I get to Prague.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
643 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Four days in South Bohemia

I like Třeboň.... besides the historical sites and a nice area around the lake, if the weather is nice, beer terrace of the brewery is a pleasant place too.

Many fish restaurants, I go usually to www.supina.cz , reservation in advance is better. Don´t be afraid to try a carp!

Enjoy South Bohemia! If you have any other question, we are there....

Best regards Hana

Edited: 20 August 2012, 09:15
Hamar
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Four days in South Bohemia

Spend 3 nights in Cesky Krumlov! You might not want to leave if you take time, and relax in this city. If tourist stress you, just walk another direction for five minutes. I have been there over 25 times! I am from norway, and this place is therapy for me. But dont make to tight scedule!

Marianske Lazne...
Level Contributor
185 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Four days in South Bohemia

If you are a photographer looking for excellent scenic shots go to Šumava!

A trip from Český Krumlov to Antýgl by car is an hour by car - leave your car at the parking place at Antýgl and take a walk along the river Vydra to Turnerova chata (about 4 km) - you will make amazing shots (trust me, I was there yesterday:) It is beautiful there - and the air smells nowhere so fantastic like in Šumava:)

Edited: 24 August 2012, 10:04
Marianske Lazne...
Level Contributor
185 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Four days in South Bohemia

Also I would really rethink Karlovy Vary - in my eyes this place changed for the worse in the last couple of years - I would go to Mariánské Lázně instead - also a spa town, smaller, in a charming valley, surrounded by forests.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
437 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Four days in South Bohemia

Just back from a couple of days in South Bohemia/Sumava area, lovely part of the country perhaps my favourite town was Prachatice but not sure it's more than a few hours walk round.. every village you pass seems to have something worth stopping for..

Reply to: Four days in South Bohemia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about South Bohemian Region