We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mumbai to Kasol Trip - last week of April/first week of May.

Mumbai, India
3 posts
Save Topic
Mumbai to Kasol Trip - last week of April/first week of May.

Hey Fellow Travelers,

I've always wanted to explore a quiet place tucked somewhere amidst snow-clad mountains and a river flowing by.

So, when a friend of mine said that she needs go on a week long trip to some chilled out place, Kasol came in as the undeniable option in my head.

We are 2 girls who will be travelling to Kasol from Mumbai somewhere in April end/May first week. We have a good 8-10 days in our hands and we intend to keep this one a budget trip (considering this very impromptu). I guess we have around 10k at our disposal and we are going to travel by trains/buses throughout the trip.

Neither have us traveled up north (beyond Delhi), so I have a few questions out here. Would be great if you guys could help me out.

1) What are the places one can visit/trek to in and around Kasol - considering we have time at our disposal?

2) Is the budget going to be a problem for us? Will we need to cut short our trip by a few days?

3) Any suggestions for cheap accommodations in Kasol? Should we stay there for all the days or should we shift our base to some place else after a couple of days?

4) Is the trip safe for 2 girls travelling on their own?

5) What would the weather be like around this time of the year?

It'd be very helpful if you guys could share an itinerary with us.

Thanks a ton.

Cheers!

17 replies to this topic
Shimla, India
Level Contributor
1,896 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mumbai to Kasol Trip - last week of April/first week of May.

1) What are the places one can visit/trek to in and around Kasol - considering we have time at our disposal? = tosh, pulga, kalga, kheerganga and if time allows, malana too.

2) Is the budget going to be a problem for us? Will we need to cut short our trip by a few days? = depends upon what kind of hotels/ guest houses you get. lots of cheap options available so you can decide on the spot.

3) Any suggestions for cheap accommodations in Kasol? Should we stay there for all the days or should we shift our base to some place else after a couple of days? = shift your base if possible. spend 2-3 days in kasol. then go to tosh. your kasol hotel manager will be able to help you on this. and if you get to join any trekker group, do try 2 day trek to malana.

4) Is the trip safe for 2 girls travelling on their own? = no problems. kasol and surroundings are pretty chill place. locales are quite friendly but dont trust someone just like that. keep your distance. most probably only problem creators you will find are sikh youngsters paying homage at manikaran gurudwara.

5) What would the weather be like around this time of the year? = spring time. temp should be around 20-22 degrees. nice open sun with little chill in the winds.

try to arrive delhi in the late afternoon. pre book your volvo tickets delhi-manali. disembark bus at bhuntar which is like 10 kms before kullu town (ask you bus conductor and he will do the needful). from bhuntar bus stand board any local bus going to manikaran/ barshani. kasol comes on the way.

enjoy your trip. !

Mumbai, India
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mumbai to Kasol Trip - last week of April/first week of May.

Hey!!

Thanks for clearing out the doubts I had. I will come back if I need some more advice :)

Jamshedpur
Level Contributor
21 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mumbai to Kasol Trip - last week of April/first week of May.

Hi Shreyangshi,

We are 2 girls planning to travel to Kasol, Tosh and Kheerganga in the second week of May. It would be good to travel together. We will be travelling from Kolkata.

Also do let me know if you have made any prior bookings etc yet.

Regards,

Srijita Kundu

Mumbai, India
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mumbai to Kasol Trip - last week of April/first week of May.

Hi Shreyanshi,

I am also planning from Mumbai to Kasol-Tosh-Kheerganga & maybe Rohtang Pass if its possible in the 2nd weekend of May.

Checked the flight tickets, which are around 4500 one side. Even the trains are full for the 2nd week of May.

So the total cost from Mumbai might rise to around 13-15K.

1) Considering your duration, you got ample time for the valley. Last time in 2014, it took me 6 days to cover everything including a day in Manali. So definitely that wont be a problem.

2) Average Budget in Kasol and valley will be 5-6 K depending on your expenditure. Mumbai - Kasol is the pricey part depending on the availability in trains & flight.

3) For the accomodation, Kasol will cost around 1200-1800 a night. Hotels might quote high. But bargain! 2-3 good hotels are there. Also, you can dump some luggage and pack some easy going trek friendly luggage backpack for Tosh & above. You can get a guest house stay in Tosh/Malana for Rs. 500. Do check if its safe enough. I will be putting my base in Kasol, and moving to Tosh, Malana, Kheerganga, Pulga etc from there itself.

4) Kasol & valley is pretty safe with the locals. But yes keep yourself a lil aloof from strangers. Also, its a place where people will get high, israelites are also there. Be reserved & chill.

5) Weather is good as this time, valley would be without snow and the temperature will be around 6-12 degree.

Also, keep me posted if you decide a good itinerary for this trip from Mumbai.

Thanks & Enjoy the valley.

Regards

Akash Sharan

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
325 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mumbai to Kasol Trip - last week of April/first week of May.

Looks like I will be having company to travel, I plan on traveling solo to Kasol and do not have any plans yet. But I guess going from Mumbai to Delhi is the most expensive part.

Kochi (Cochin...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mumbai to Kasol Trip - last week of April/first week of May.

Hi Frnds, i am from kerala... I too will reach kasol on may 6th morning.... i am looking for a budget solo trip... Any frndly frnds can join as we can share stay n save some fund to extend our stay to enjoy paradise more... :)

Mumbai, India
14 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mumbai to Kasol Trip - last week of April/first week of May.

I have a similar plan, will be starting from Mumbai on 30th April and travelling solo. Flight tickets booked. Planning to cover Kasol, Tosh, Kheerganga, Kalga/Pulga, Malana.

If anyone having a similar itinerary, lets plan on covering these places together..

Regards,

Adarsh

delhi
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mumbai to Kasol Trip - last week of April/first week of May.

hey man im traveling solo as well and would be nice to catch up and travel and explore so ping me in case your plan is on 9999014257

3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Mumbai to Kasol Trip - last week of April/first week of May.

Solo traveler... See u all in kasol

Johannesburg, South...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mumbai to Kasol Trip - last week of April/first week of May.

Hi,

We are 3, going to visit kasol on 14th-21st May, Anyone who visited recently can please share your experience and suggestions on places to stay/self camping, mini treks..

TIA

Reply to: Mumbai to Kasol Trip - last week of April/first week of May.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kasol