We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Earthquake near Palermo this morning

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,819 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Earthquake near Palermo this morning

I just saw in today's Palermo edition of La Republica that there was a 3.4 level earthquake off the coast of Palermo. About 30 km from Palermo, between the coast and Ustica.

I guess it didn't disrupt much or do much damage, as a couple of hours ago I received an e-mail from my soon-to-be "landlady" that did not even mention the earthquake. (Well, as this is Butera 28 I guess it's more proper to call her a countess, but she seems quite down to earth and friendly.)

Any more news?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,893 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Earthquake near Palermo this morning

Having lived in Los Angeles for year, 3.4 barely warrants a blink of acknowledgement.

I know that in areas of the world where buildings are older and not built to withstand this sort of activity, it can be much more serious and dangerous, but I don't think 3.4 really causes much concern anywhere - not that I've read about anyway.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,819 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Earthquake near Palermo this morning

Yes, you are right. Two errors on my part: First of all, it was 4.3, not 3.4. But mostly ---- when I saw the headline the number that jumped out at me was 8.21, which is NOT the level of the earthquake, but the time it occurred. ;-)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
106,438 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Earthquake near Palermo this morning

There are earthquakes constantly around Sicily, usually at sea, usually in the two range, and often near Messina or the Aeolians.

Most are very slight, but today’s earthquake was actually a 4,7.

Vagabonda

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,893 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Earthquake near Palermo this morning

Big difference.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
106,438 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Earthquake near Palermo this morning

www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/earthquake.php…

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
106,438 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Earthquake near Palermo this morning

Most people would be surprised to know just how many earthquakes occur – I receive an email alert when there’s been an earthquake in Sicily.

http://www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/

Vagabonda

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
488 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Earthquake near Palermo this morning

Before the media started to sensationalize everything it was possible to distinguish between earthquakes and earth tremors. Now they are all earthquakes and people get alarmed unnecessarily. Every single day Italian TV reports an "earthquake" somewhere or other in the country. This morning it is between Bologna and Pistoia. 3.3.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
106,438 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Earthquake near Palermo this morning

Well fortunately Sicily has settled down, but notice when Etna erupts, then an earthquake.

Vagabonda

9. Re: Earthquake near Palermo this morning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 20:17
Get answers to your questions about Province of Palermo
More Province of Palermo Topics