We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Syracuse and more in February.?

Torrox, Spain
Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Syracuse and more in February.?

I have the opportunity to spend Feb. exploring some parts of southern Italy, thinking I may find the place I want to return to in retirement six months from then. I plan to spend the first "leg" of my trip (about 8 days) in Abruzzo, the next 8 or so in Puglia and the final 8 or so in Sicily. My research so far has led me to put Syracuse, Noto, Ragusa, and Modica on my list. I'd prefer not to rent a car, if possible, but to rely on local transit (part of the experience I think will be sharing busses and trains with locals). I'm not trying to cram in every lovely vista or cathedral, but would like to see some of the best, as well as to spend some time wandering in the cities and towns, stopping for a coffee (or a gelato, if its not too cool!) and getting a feel for the place.

Would I be better off to stay put in say Syracuse several days and do daytrips? Or to meander from one place to the next? Any particular order make sense? And most importantly, is there anyplace I really must see that I've left out?

Two other specific questions. Weather in February? And does the ferry from Pozzollo to Malta run in February? Thought I'd try to sneak in a last few days there and catch a budget airline flight back to Frankfurt where I start a course in March.

Thanks so much!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
376 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Syracuse and more in February.?

I would fly in to Catania and stay in Ortiga in Siracusa. From there it is very easy to get around by car. The weather will be cold, the advantage is that you will be able to see things like a Sicilian. Remember to prunso often and well.

Brucefil

Edited: 02 June 2014, 13:34
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Syracuse and more in February.?

Thanks Brucefil. I am really hoping to avoid a car though and don't mind bus rides.

Prunso?

modica
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Syracuse and more in February.?

It is unlikely that the Malta Pozzallo hydrofoil will run alot in Feburary. It is weather dependent. The weather wont be great, but you will have sunny if chilly days. Using Siracusa as a base is fine if you have a car, but if you are using public transport you will spend half your holilday on the bus. I would use Ortigia as a base for Noto, then move on to Modica and use it as a bse for Ragusa and Scicli .

Torrox, Spain
Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Syracuse and more in February.?

Thanks modicasa! Very helpful.!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
105,014 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Syracuse and more in February.?

Salve MelissaB58275!

As indicated on your thread posted on the Puglia forums (tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187873-i798-k7505…), to feel the pulse of a place, it would be best to spend time and overnight, and experience the town's activities in the early morning and evening.

Divide your time between Siracusa and Modica.

Visit Noto from Siracusa, and visit Ragusa from Modica.

Virtu-Ferries suspended crossing for maintenance from 9 January to 23 January this past year, but ran service the remainder of the month.

Public transport is especially poor on Sundays, so avoid travel on Sundays if at all possible.

Vagabonda

6. Re: Syracuse and more in February.?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Province of Syracuse