We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trapani, San Vito, Castellamare del Golfo

Amsterdam, The...
1 post
Save Topic
Trapani, San Vito, Castellamare del Golfo

Hi!

My boyfriend and I are going to Sicily next week for 7 nights on a small budget. We are considering staying in Trapani, San Vito or Castellammare del Golfo (or Marsala). Can anyone recommend which place would be best to have a relaxing vacation but also visit lo Zingaro and Terme Segestane by bus or train? We arrive at Birgi-Trapani at 21:30 on Monday and think we have to spend the first night in Trapani as we will not rent a car. Thank you so much for your help!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,683 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trapani, San Vito, Castellamare del Golfo

Tranpani has the best public transport options in western Sicily. Castellammare does not have good public transport options. I spent 2 weeks in Castellammare as a base for day trips all over western Sicily, but I had a rental car. I only went on days trips to Marsala, but I don't think that it has very good public transport connections either.

On the other hand Trapan is a small modern Sicilian city. The old town center is pedestian only and is charming, but to get there, we had to drive though miles of post WWII modern spawl. There are lots of places to eat in Trapani and it has some sights of it's own to visit.

google map of Trapani with sites marked

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,620 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trapani, San Vito, Castellamare del Golfo

Welcome to Sicily Astrid E!

Plan to stay in Trapani where you would find many good-value B&B options, and also the best public transport options. There are areas of the Old Town that are pedestrian only, but there are also areas that aren't pedestrian only.

Take the AST bus from Trapani to San Vito Lo Capo to visit Zingaro.

There is no public transport to Terme Segestane, but Tarantola runs bus service from Trapani to Segesta.

Marsala is further afield from your intended destination, so although there's a train station and adequate bus service, Trapani would better serve your needs.

Vagabonda

3. Re: Trapani, San Vito, Castellamare del Golfo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Province of Trapani