We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trapani > Palermo

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Trapani > Palermo

I am travelling solo to Trapani in September. I would like a mix of beach and culture (essential for me to visit Segesta)

So far I am planning to fly into Trapani on 02/09 and planning to travel up to San Vita for a 5 days at the beach. Then I would like to visit Segesta, preferably staying in Alcamo for 2 days. Then off to Palermo for a few days.

I can't drive so I would be using public transport some questions I am stuck on with my planning.

- Are there buses/trains from Alcamo to Segesta? If not how much would a taxi be roughly?

- Is Segesta very busy on weekends, is it better to plan a weekday visit?

- Does the timing sound okay? Alcamo appears quite small to me should I stay longer than 2 days?

- Any hostel cheap accomodation recommendations?

Thank you,

Eve

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
97,993 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trapani > Palermo

Welcome to Sicily 1208Evie!

If you can't drive, base in Trapani, not Alcamo, where public transport is limited. Trapani offers the most convenient public transport in Western Sicily.

San Vito Lo Capo is a beach resort town, and a distance for seeing any sites. Public transport would connect via Trapani, or the Russo bus to Palermo via Castellammare del Golfo. You might find 5 days a bit long in San Vito Lo Capo if you plan do any sightseeing.

Tarantola runs bus service from Trapani to Segesta. Avoid Sundays.

How to visit Segesta from Palermo in December:

tripadvisor.com/…57765858

Vagabonda

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trapani > Palermo

Thanks for your quick reply Vagabondo. And sorry it has taken me so long to get back onto TripAdvisor.

Following your recommendation I have now based myself in Trapani for 2 days (to see Segesta and Erice) and then going to San Vito Lo Capo for 4 days and finishing with 3 days in Palermo.

Could you recommend some essential sights to see in Palermo. And do you know of a shop/cobbler that sells lace up Roman sandals?

Thank you,

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
97,993 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trapani > Palermo

Prego 1208Evie, and that's a reasonable plan and itinerary.

Shoe shops are everywhere in Palermo.

tripadvisor.com/…5198011

Essential sites would differ person to person, but the Palazzo dei Normanni and Cappella Palatina in Palermo, and the Duomo in Monreale are top attractions.

But find your own must-see attractions!

…palermo.it/turismo/tesori_d_arte_a_palermo/…

tripadvisor.com/…TtD

And enjoy!

Vagabonda

4. Re: Trapani > Palermo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2015, 06:18