We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

village life

scotland
Level Contributor
59 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
village life

Hi we are looking at rentals . We have been to nearby gaucin many times. Are there food shops and bar in the village itself or do you have to drive to gaucin. Many thanks

6 replies to this topic
Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: village life

Did a little bit of digging for you and came up with this page on www.andalucia.com

www.andalucia.com/gaucin/railway-station

I rather suspect that this forum is for El Colmenar in the Axarquia (Malaga but further east). Which is a bigger town. Like you I have been in Gaucín but not El Colmenar.

Saludos. Lindsay

scotland
Level Contributor
59 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: village life

Many thanks for your help, trying to book up for August in Gaucin but options now are limited so looking further afield !

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: village life

We spend the first two weeks or so of July in Chiclana de la Frontera which is on the Atlantic Coast a little south of Cadiz City. It too gets busier in August with a lot of stay at home Spanish holidaymakers. The second half of July I spend in the pueblo blanco Olvera which is in the north east of Cadiz Province. There are some lovely places both on the Gaucin side of Ronda and on the Olvera side. Hope you find something suitable.

Lindsay

Edited: 01 May 2014, 22:24
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: village life

I drove through El Colmenar last Xmas when I was staying in the area and thought it to be a really nice small village. Reached by the usual twisty but ok road from the Gaucin ridge or by a rather narrow, not in great condition, road through the forests from the A373 west of Cortes de la Frontera. There were several attractive looking bars/cafe and shops but if my memory is right just village type local shops. Its much smaller than Gaucin but really nice, but then again I prefer small villages. There's Spanish site for the village http://estaciondegaucin.webcindario.com/

Plug for an alternative with more facilities, my personal favourite which is Montejaque further northeast just beyond Benaojan. Quite village, very pretty, good supply of bars/cafe and mini-markets, public pools and holiday accommodation to let.

Granada Nicaragua
Level Contributor
960 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: village life

I was there...El Colmenar... just yesterday...driving about the countryside. Nice place sleepy but a coupe of good looking restaurants and a hotel right on the outskirts. Very pretty...small. The road from Gaucin is decent and not all that far...20 minutes drive .

dublin
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: village life

Hi,

Visited el Colemar yesterday. Couple of pubs restaurants . Did not see any shops . At least 1 hotel. Went there for some "wild water swimming". Didn't quite find the place but local river was lovely...the town is quiet, well served by an immaculate railstop. Other sites mention an organic restaurant there but it is long closed. The drive there is a bit of a pain - a corkscrew drive from gaucin.

Reply to: village life
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about El Colmenar
Recent Conversations