We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help - October 2013

Sydney
Level Contributor
78 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help - October 2013

The husband and I are heading to Perth first week of October for the Barbershop singing competition. Following this he goes to Swan Valley for a couple of days. We then have roughly three weeks to travel. My first question is what can I do for three days while he is in Swan Valley? Next question is can you help with a suggested itinerary? We love wine but whilst I am happy to visit and even stay at some wineries, I am coming from Sydney and want to see as much of the countryside as I can! Is the loop to Kalgoorlie, down to Esperance and follow the coastal highway around to Margaret River region the way to go, landing back in Perth.

We are happy to go off on side roads although will be hiring a car and probably not a 4WD so need to be mindful of that. We enjoy b&bs and interesting accommodation so would be happy to take recommendations for that as well.

Travel brochures and travel guides are just confusing me!

Another alternative is fly to Broome and drive back to Perth. As you can tell, I need help.

Thanks in advance.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
13,979 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help - October 2013

October and 3 weeks is perfect for the southwest and a good amount of time to do the loop with Kal and Esp. (So many people only have 7 to 10 days so I tend to suggest only as far as Albany but you have a good amount of days).

I would usually suggest 4 days in Margaret River (wines, food, caves, beaches, artisan crafts, animal sanctuarys), 3 days in Walpole (WOW river cruise, tree top walk, Giant Tingle, Conspicuous Cliffs, & a couple of good off road drives in the region), Batholemews Meadery on the way to Denmark (could have a night or two here just to relax and enjoy the forrests and river), 4 nights Albany (Whale World, Anzac Memorial, The Gap and Natural Bridge etc, the Old Gaol, historical ship and oldest house in WA Patrick Taylors Cottage, the Sandalford farm where you can have a day spa and much more), then spread the remaining days over Esperance and Kal.

Majority of the roads and dirt roads are 2WD friendly - I recollect a couple outside Walpole that are signposted for 4WD only at certain times of the year mainly in winter.

Will you have a car while you are in Swan Valley - its sizable and lacking in transport. Plenty of eating and drinking activities there and Whiteman Park is interesting.

Sydney
Level Contributor
78 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help - October 2013

Thank you so much for your suggestions. It is always difficult to know just how much time to spend where!

I can have a car in Swan Valley if you have some ideas for day trips?

Recommended accommodation in any of these places?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
13,979 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help - October 2013

Car will definitely help.

Try http://www.whitemanpark.com.au far bit of it is for kids but also nice for adult to look around.

I was going to suggest checking out Mundaring Weir - famous for being the start of the longest water pipe line to Kalgoorlie but after checking this site

www.mundaringtourism.com.au/thingstodo.html is says its all closed for repairs. Sad as its a lovely piece of history.

The Swan Valley site will give you some ideas. My favourite places are Lancaster wines for both wine and cheese tasting, Jane Brooke vineyard for seriously nice lunches, and Chapel Farm next door - also great food.

http://www.swanvalley.com.au/Home

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help - October 2013

Flying to Broome and drive to Perth one way can bring high drop off charges. SW trip is just wonderful.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
256 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help - October 2013

If you want to see the Goldfields (and October is a perfect time) I highly recommend the Golden Quest Discovery trail. The countryside is harsh but spectacular and the history is fascinating. Most of it is on paved roads (not to Lake Ballard though) and there may also be wildflowers around at that time of year.

Stay at the Grand Hotel in Kookynie – there’s a neat little museum and interesting locals at the pub. Also check out the ghost town of Gwalia nearby. You can then go back to Kal and on to Esperance.

www.goldenquesttrail.com/

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,109 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary help - October 2013

You should have a wonderful trip with that time period- though will go quickly. I am not a huge fan of The Swan Valley as so many more attractive wineries in the South West. I like the drive around Bickley, Kalamunda and across to Mundaring Weir. Close to Swan Valley but much nicer IMO.

Really like Kalgoorlie and worth spending a couple of days there. If you can get a tour out to Lake Ballard for the sculptures think that would be great- on my list of things to do one day.

Down to Esperance for a couple of days then on to Albany area, where I am more familiar. Several excellent B&B's. Heaps to do there as mentioned. To add to those already been given, my favourites are the boardwalk from Middleton Beach to Ataturk monument, Emu Pt &cafe, Two People's Bay, Shelley Beach on the way to Denmark.

Love Phillip Brook winery for lunch (need to book) near Albany and in Denmark recommend Single File winery and The Lake House.

Then of course on to MR and more wineries and B&B's.

You probably know already that Perth and even the South West is not a cheap destination, though there are

ways to save a bit such as not eating out at every meal!

Edited: 02 April 2013, 04:48
Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,109 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary help - October 2013

Don't know how close you want to be to your husband whilst he is in the Swan Valley, but if you wanted to treat yourself then you could stay somewhere like this which is 25 minutes away.

http://www.fawkeshouse.com.au/

Or any of B&B's in Goosberry Hill ( again about 20 minutes from Swan Valley)

tripadvisor.com.au/Hotels-g2005542-Gooseberr…

There's plenty to do by yourself and some great walks. I lived in this Hills area for several years and have fond memories of the general location.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
150 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary help - October 2013

I love the swan valley and think if you have a car you will find plenty to do just meandering along - going to different wineries, a few galleries, breweries, just as you would say in the Hunter...and it's relatively close to the city - or drive into Midland - there is some good shopping there.

3 weeks doing the loop from kal - esperance - perth sounds great. Lake Ballard is amazing, there is plenty to do n see in Esperance - take a trip out to the islands - you can stay on woody island for something pretty different (will be cold though). http://www.woodyisland.com.au/

happy planning

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,796 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary help - October 2013

denise - Have a read through this trip report a visitor posted a while ago. Quite a lengthy thread but very comprehensive and going the same southwest loop you are intending to do. You may pick up some useful info:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255103-i531-k4…

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,109 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary help - October 2013

Wow AJ, those trip reports by seoulite were just fantastic. I really liked that they took their time on the trip and could relax and enjoy the journey and the destinations!

Get answers to your questions about Margaret River Region