We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Margaret River Region Secluded Running Trails Hidden Gems

Santa Cruz...
6 posts
Save Topic
Margaret River Region Secluded Running Trails Hidden Gems

I will be heading solo to Margaret River from California in September for 3 weeks of surfing and running through forests. Can anyone give me local knowledge of the trails? I'll have a holiday park pass and a rental car. I'm looking for less crowds and more nature. And trail difficulty does not matter.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,476 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Margaret River Region Secluded Running Trails Hidden Gems

We're walkers, not runners, but we've enjoyed the Ten Mile Brook Dam Track on a few occasions.

www.railtrails.org.au/trail?view=trail&id=189

The Cape to Cape is another possibility, although more coastal than forest:

www.margaretriver.com/cape-to-cape-track

More options here:

…wa.gov.au/recreation-and-tourism/…

Crowding won't be an issue...this is WA!

Edited: 26 May 2014, 01:38
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,476 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Margaret River Region Secluded Running Trails Hidden Gems

If you want to venture east of MR, there's also the Bibbulmun, a 965 km track that extends from Perth to Albany:

https:/…

Santa Cruz...
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Margaret River Region Secluded Running Trails Hidden Gems

Thanks! I'm also thinking about going south as well. But no further than 3 or 4 hours. I've been reading there are tons of eucalyptus tree forests I can run through.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,476 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Margaret River Region Secluded Running Trails Hidden Gems

There are some lovely forest trails around Denmark and Pemberton. Lots to choose from really.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Margaret River Region Secluded Running Trails Hidden Gems

If you felt like a drive then I would highly recommend Walpole-about 3 1/2 hrs from MR -some winding roads so be careful. Having driven through the area many a time, I finally decided it was time to stay and do some walking. Terrific wilderness area and forests. My 20 something daughter and I walked from Coalmine Beach to Sappers Bridge on the Bibbulmun Track. Wow amazing Tngle and Karri forest area-we were blown away that this was in our backyard. We did a two car shuttle but you could park at the Lookout or Giant Tingle Tree car park and connect with the track and continue through to about Frankland campsite-or turn back at any stage really. Also did a section north from Conspicuous Cliffs that was more open woodland. The wildflowers will be out in September so will be a wonderful time in the forests.

Check the Bibbulmun Track web site that Mel gave you. It is an excellent web site as shows car access points along the way and also gives suggestions of day walks. People have been known to run on the track but you might find that you can run certain bits then have to walk areas. You could also email the helpful people at the Bib Track Foundation for suggestions of sections more suitable for trail running. The area around Pemberton would also have great trails (the Track goes through Pemberton) and if you are also a mountain biker it is becoming an area for bikers.

Edited: 26 May 2014, 06:24
Margaret River...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Margaret River Region Secluded Running Trails Hidden Gems

Bramley National Park (at the Northern Boundary of the Margaret River Townsite) has some awesome bush trails for riding or cycling. You can camp inside the National Park at Wharncliffe Mill. You can hike north to Cowaramup, East along the 10 Mile Brook Trail (along the river) or South and then west out to the beach. You should consider hopping on a mountain bike to explore some of the great mountain biking through the beautiful tall timber forest (Jarrah, Marri, Karri) alongside the flowing brooks and of course the lovely Margaret River.

Santa Cruz...
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Margaret River Region Secluded Running Trails Hidden Gems

Wow! I can't thank you all enough! I've been online for over a month looking for solo adventures. It looks like I'm heading south for a few days to get away from surfing and do some running in the old growth forests. My main goal is to get away from crowds and enjoy the trails and nature. The deeper on the forests trails the better. And the wild flowers are a bonus! Hope I can see wildlife in native habitat that will make me go WOW! Oh and mountain biking is an option for sure. But I haven't figured out where to rent a good mountain bike from websites. Rock climbing is also an option as well. Oh, does anyone know how crowded September is for the Southwest? Again thank you so much. I'm an information hound lol!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,476 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Margaret River Region Secluded Running Trails Hidden Gems

Your fears about crowding are unfounded, especially in September. More often than not, spouse and I have entire tracks to ourselves when we hike here in WA. And sometimes beaches too.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Margaret River Region Secluded Running Trails Hidden Gems

Sounds like you are an outdoor adventure person so you should enjoy what is on offer in the South West.

Would certainly be worth spending some time away from Margaret River-even a week- to go exploring. Margaret River is fabulous but more wilderness type places further south.

Mountain biking around Pemberton:

pembertonvisitor.com.au/pages/pemberton-moun…

Drop an email to the visitor centre re hire of bikes as think they organise it.

To complement the Bibbulmun Track (walking/hiking from Perth to Albany), the Munda Biddi track has recently been completed-mountain biking from Perth to Albany. Like the Bib track it can be done in sections.

http://www.mundabiddi.org.au/

Don't worry these places will not be crowded!

In Walpole I noticed this place to stay which had good reviews. http://www.walpolelodge.com.au/n

Also caravan parks for camping at Coalmine Beach and Peaceful Bay. Of course if you are doing extended hiking/walking then there are shelters (water is available at camp shelters) located along the Bibbulmun Track.

if you want to do some kayaking can hire some canoes (can stay as well) from this place and canoe upstream on the Frankland River to say Monastery Landing.

www.walpole.org.au/NornalupRiversideChalets/

Some of the Bibbulmun Track accommodation in track towns will drop you somewhere near the track so you can do a full day walk-or run in your case.

Mobile reception is rather patchy in these areas so ensure someone knows your plans as there are some remote spots where you might not see anyone during the day.

Rock climbing can be done near Margaret River: eg

rockclimbing.com/routes/…

margaretriverclimbingco.com.au/rockclimbing.…

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Margaret River Region Secluded Running Trails Hidden Gems

<<<Hope I can see wildlife in native habitat that will make me go WOW! >>>>

Do bear in mind that the sound of someone running through a quiet peaceful forest is a sure fire way to ensure you see absolutely no wildlife at all ! The majority of our creatures are nocturnal and if your noise wakes or startles them from their day sleep they will simply burrow in and hide even more.

The southwest is a beautiful peaceful quiet region and you will indeed find trails where you are the only person there and beaches with no other footprints.

To appreciate it I would think a gentle ambling hike or stroll will allow you to see and experience more - and quite possibly if you are really quiet - some wildlife encounters.

Get answers to your questions about Margaret River Region