We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Odd question - but can you help?

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
9,059 posts
165 reviews
Save Topic
Odd question - but can you help?

Back in January I bought a coat in a store in Sorrento called Piazza Italia - it's a women's clothing store.

I get all the way home to Australia and find the coat still has a security tag attached.

I've taken the coat to stores near my home to see if anyone has a device they can use to remove the tag. No luck. I've tried emailing the store but there are no contact details for them on the website (which was hard enough to find as it is - every search for Piazza Italia came up with pizza restaurants worldwide...)

My question is.....are these Italian security tags loaded with dye so if I smash it off, my coat is wrecked? There is no indication on the tag that it contains dye but the coat is (a) gorgeous and (b) Italian made - expensive so I don't want to wreck it.

Why on earth I didn't set off security alarms in the shop is anyone's guess, lol!

Should I get the hammer out? - what would you do?

Edited: 31 March 2013, 23:57
Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,534 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Odd question - but can you help?

Maybe a tailor might have some idea? Not sure what I would do. I hope someone has some useful ideas for you.

Scranton...
Level Contributor
602 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Odd question - but can you help?

Not much help here, but I did a search on google.it for the term "etichetta di sicurezza per l'abbigliamento" (security tag for clothing). One of the results was a pdf from Dow Chemical which indicates that at least some of the tags do indeed contain dye packs. Unfortunately, I didn't come up with any photos of the various tag types.

I'll be in Sorrento for a few days in late May. If you haven't had a resolution by then, perhaps I can stop by the store you purchased your item at and find out if the tag can be safely removed.

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,118 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Odd question - but can you help?

This happened to my husband in London. He has 2 suggestions for you:

1. Call the store and find out if they use the ink in it. If it does, grind the side that that is thinner(the fat side will have the dye) until it falls off. If it doesn't, you can still grind it off with much less care.

2. Take it to a store that has this kind of tag on it, with the receipt , and ask them to remove it. Buy something

Good luck! I know this is incredibly frustrating.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,668 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Odd question - but can you help?

Here is the store on Googlemaps (with security scanners clearly visible)

http://goo.gl/maps/DjfEQ

and this is the phone number

Corso Italia, 197 80067 Sorrento Napoli Italy

+39 081 877 3761

Good luck

Mentioned in this post
Corso Italia
Corso Italia
759 Reviews
Sorrento, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
New South Wales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,059 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Odd question - but can you help?

Oh you're all awesome - thanks so much!

I did try calling the store a while back but no one could understand me at the time - maybe I'll try again - they may have more English speakers on staff with it coming into tourist season.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,059 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Odd question - but can you help?

Update! Tag is off!

It was determined by an 'expert' (lol - my boss and a frequent visitor to Italy) that the tag was electronic only and has no dye. Therefore, out came the hammer and with a few bashes it was off with no damage - except to the tag.

Thanks for all your advice. Now I just have to get back to Piazza Italia - they have THE most comfortable jeans I have ever bought anywhere in the world :)

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Odd question - but can you help?

Well done - there's little that won't yield to a combination of brute force and blind faith!

Peter

8. Re: Odd question - but can you help?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2014, 05:16