We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which town to stay in?

Greater Manchester
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Which town to stay in?

I'm flying to Naples in May with husband and 3yr old. Naples doesn't sound nice and Sorrento seems expensive and a bit of a trek!

Can you suggest a nice resort somewhere in between?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,530 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which town to stay in?

Naples is in fact a great place, I love it. But there isn't really a nice resort between Naples and Sorrento, except for Sant' Agnello di Sorrento which is almost in Sorrento itself: see http://www.summerinitaly.com/guide/sant-agnello-di-sorrento).

Towns between Naples and Sorrento include Ercolano (Herculaneum), Torre del Greco, Torre Annunziata (see e.g. http://www.booking.com/hotel/it/grillo-verde.en.html) , Castellamare di Stabio, Vico Equenze and Meta but these aren't really resorts like Sorrento or Amalfi, even if there are of course some hotels.

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,444 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which town to stay in?

What do you plan to do/see? Most people plan a location based on ease of transport unless they want to stay in one place the entire time.

The towns of the Amalfi coast and easily reachable from Sorrento or Salerno.

I also liked Naples--if you want a city destination then you could stay in a residential area in Naples, ar along the seafront.

Greater Manchester
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which town to stay in?

Thanks, I'm confused with the reviews on Naples, makes it sound dirty, busy and unsafe?

Greater Manchester
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which town to stay in?

I'm planning on staying mainly in one place. Just want a nice hotel with pool and access to some nice restaurants. Is it nice in certain parts of Naples then, the reviews sound awful?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,801 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which town to stay in?

The people who place reviews about Naples being 'dirty, busy and unsafe' are usually there for just one night in transit to somewhere else and stay near the train station. Look at this review. I've stayed here myself.

tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g187785-d195…

and this B&B

tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g187785-d147…

Nowhere do they talk about unsafe or dirty. This is the Lungomare/San Ferdinando area which is absolutely beautiful.

There are plenty of places to stay in Campania - Naples, Sorrento, the Amalfi Coast or even the islands - Ischia, Procida or Capri. The area between Naples and Sorrento is very isolated and you need taxis and shuttle buses to get anywhere. It's not an ideal location.

6. Re: Which town to stay in?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2014, 05:18