We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A32 Road

Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
A32 Road

We are planning to drive around Sri Lanka in April 2014. Is the A32 from Mannar to Jaffna manageable in a standard car or will we require a 4x4?

Thanks

5 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,618 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A32 Road

Hi there,

Standard car, has been upgraded extensively including the new bridge at Pooneryn.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Kandy, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A32 Road

Ye the road is in fair condition as been mentioned.

Colorado
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: A32 Road

We bicycled the length of it from Jaffna to Mannar today, and there are only two substantial sections (1km near the bridge and 3km near the end) and a handful of short (300m) sections that haven't yet been repaved, but all are negotiable with care in a 2WD passenger car. I'm sure they will have finished those sections by April. It is a spectacular route with very little traffic. Today they were preparing to paint the centerline on many sections, and the surveyors told us the paving was completed only last week!

NB: we noticed only a single filling station along the route, so make sure you fill up in Mannar or Jaffna before embarking. Also, only one restaurant, though there are a few small shops along the way selling rotis.

Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A32 Road

Thank you!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A32 Road

Good news.

I was on the A32 in December - well after post #2 and #3 - and the road was NOT in a fair condition.

About 60km of the road was half done of which 20km was barely doable in a normal car.

There was a lot of construction going on and I guess the November rains had a lot to do with the muddy parts.

Reply to: A32 Road
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Northern Province
Recent Conversations