We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bentota/hikkaduwa/unawatuna

chennai
Level Contributor
21 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
bentota/hikkaduwa/unawatuna

i am coming down to srilanka for 10 days during last week feb and early march.i plan to spend 3 days in a beach and 1 in mirissa for whale watching,1 in tangalla.i am split choosing between bentota/hikkaduwa/unawatuna.To brief you guys, i have never done snorkelling or scuba diving.i dont know how to swim :( . given these i would like to see some coral reefs and sealife.

1)i went through forums and have read people being able to snorkell even if they dont swim.is it ok.which of these beaches is recommended.i have read beaches are bit short and at times rough with strong currents.

2)even if i am not able to do water activity it would be nice to lay low in azure blue waters and turtles to play with.lol. a good pic with turtle would do :P

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,804 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bentota/hikkaduwa/unawatuna

Hi there,

Bentota has no snorkel or dive. Hikkaduwa seems best, as Mirissa is quite similar to (a smaller version of) U'tuna.

The part of Hikkaduwa beach with reefs, just south of the bus station, has no strong currents and is swimsafe. More chances for turtles than in main U'tuna bay also.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

chennai
Level Contributor
21 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bentota/hikkaduwa/unawatuna

Thanks.Any good, reccommended places to stay.Neelas is @ hikkaduwa right.should i prebook my accomodation.Is Food for vegan available in hikkaduwa.And one more point i will be landing in colombo at 2 am in morning.is there any bus to matara or how do i get to hikkaduwa.should i get a taxi.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,804 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bentota/hikkaduwa/unawatuna

Hi again,

Can't help much with acco there, except the only vegan guesthouse in Hikkaduwa area: Sukhavati, in Thirathgama-Narigama area. Looks like I'll be there next month again. But outside of this, no problem to get vegan food elsewhere in town too - mainly in the 'vegetarian hotel' local restaurants which tend to be run by Tamils.

In this category hard to prebook over the Internet, only when you want to call from abroad. Due to your arrival time maybe helpful indeed...

See

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293962-i9270-k424…

for the bus option. Yes, can get the odd Matara/Galle bus also from Pettah at 4-5 AM when you would be there. Taxi airport-Hikkaduwa is well possible but would cost around Rs 8,000.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

chennai
Level Contributor
21 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bentota/hikkaduwa/unawatuna

Thanks eric and sandhya.I am tamil too.May be it will help.any ideas abt kalpitiya and pigeon island?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,804 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bentota/hikkaduwa/unawatuna

If you mean 'pigeon island' near Nilaveli beach - forget about it in Feb-March. Season there starts in May, the sea is much too choppy there now and the skies too cloudy.

Kalpitiya is an area with lots of potential and lots of development for the next few years. Currently only guesthouses and maybe 1-2 upmarket boutique hotels, but in 5 years time it will look more like Bentota - also with quite a few hotel resort islands in the bay. It's a good place for dolphin watching, just like Mirissa in the south which adds whales also. If you can find decent acco in Kalpitiya, also not being close to a building site, then do - but it's quite a big IF I'm afraid.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,650 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bentota/hikkaduwa/unawatuna

zanto:

since you mentioned you can't swim, but if you would still like to snorkel, Mirissa has a very small corner (Giragala) where you can snorkel and the water is not deep (in other words, whenever you want to, just stand up and water is up to your chest only... :)

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: bentota/hikkaduwa/unawatuna

Hi,

I agree with " shawnWith Caterina regarding Mirissa. Right at the eastern end of the beach where the water is sheltered by Parrot Rock.

Also, in Hikkaduwa on the reef sheltered beach there's a couple of places where you can see a good vatiety of fish over the reef in shallow water, Right outside the Coral Sands hotel there's a big section of the beach where you can wade in to chest deep or less, and the reef comes in almost to the waters edge there. A good variety of fish even that close in.

As well as that place, walk to the eastern end of the same beach and you can wade out in the sandy gullies where the reef comes into the beach. Outside the garden gate of the big , ugly brown brick hotel, The Coral Gardens, you'll see there. Here you can have huge turtles swimming around your legs and they come in to as litle as about 60cms. depth of water.

Even in the shallow parts, if you hire and try a mask and snorkell, as long as you can brave yourself to just put your face into the water and breathe through the snorkell, you'll find it so much more rewarding than just looking down through the water.

Rod.

8. Re: bentota/hikkaduwa/unawatuna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2012, 07:16