We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Beach Resort in Galle Area - Coco Bay Unawatuna

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
New Beach Resort in Galle Area - Coco Bay Unawatuna

I discovered on-line what looks like a very nice brand new beach resort near Galle, called Coco Bay Unawatuna. It is scheduled to open 15December, which is very close to our arrival date so I am hesitant to book. Does anytone know anything about the resort and its state of readiness? Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Galle
Galle
Galle District, Sri Lanka
1. Re: New Beach Resort in Galle Area - Coco Bay Unawatuna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2013, 19:53
Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Beach Resort in Galle Area - Coco Bay Unawatuna

Hi there,

we are planning to visit Coco Bay Unawatuna shortly after its opening. I am a bit sceptic / scared about it too, but I have verified it with a number of different local travel agents in Sri Lanka and got reply, that the hotel really exists and its about ready to fully operate. So it is not a scam as far as I was informed.

I made a reservation - communication went OK.Also, we asked for airport-hotel transfer, so I expect driver to be at the airport upon our arrival.

When are you planning to get there? Did you hear any other info about Coco Bay?

Regards,

Lukas

Mentioned in this post
venice, Italy
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Beach Resort in Galle Area - Coco Bay Unawatuna

Dear Lucas, i m going to coco bay on 2 nd january , it was the only place with available rooms in unawatuna and talpe area, but the rooms look nice on their website!

How much did they ask you for the airport transfer? They asked me 150 Usd for 6 people! Does anyone know how much cost the airpirt transfer to Unawatuna for 6 people?

Thanks, regards,Alessandra

Mentioned in this post
Unawatuna
Unawatuna
Galle District, Sri Lanka
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Beach Resort in Galle Area - Coco Bay Unawatuna

Should be approx. LKR 12,000 plus LKR 400 Expressway toll fee.

Hans

Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Beach Resort in Galle Area - Coco Bay Unawatuna

We are due to stay on the 8th January. It looks lovely. However their website tonight is very slow. Fingers crossed for a lovely break.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Beach Resort in Galle Area - Coco Bay Unawatuna

Sorry for late response as I just now got back to read this string. After much effort, I managed to coax some photos out of the manager (who is actually very pleasant, by the way). Rooms looked good, which was first pics I received. When I asked for pics of the general areas (pool, dining area etc) , that is when I got scared off and pulled the pin on that option. Still looked very much like a construction site (pool looked like the blocks had just been laid, no cement finish yet, wires hanging out of open celings etc), and I was very skeptical of 15Dec open date. I would encourage you to get current photos of the resort before you go. Good luck

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Beach Resort in Galle Area - Coco Bay Unawatuna

we are staying there starting Dec 27th and I just got an email from their manager with some pictures that confirm pool is tiled and full with water, restaurant area is ready, and the grounds have been completed... so we're looking forward to a great trip...

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
58,646 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Beach Resort in Galle Area - Coco Bay Unawatuna

Looks good on own website and e.g. Agoda. Walked by the building site a few times on my U'tuna days. Just some further info for prospective bookers:

* It's Rumassala, a neighbouring town to U'tuna

* Walking distance to Jungle Beach, a smaller bay beach of U'tuna (which is not reef-protected). And to the nice Japanese Peace Pagoda

* About 40 mins walk, or 10 mins by tuktuk, to the main U'tuna restaurant area.

* Hence more suitable for half board stays than for the different-restaurant-or-bar-every-day tourists.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Level Contributor
1 post
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Beach Resort in Galle Area - Coco Bay Unawatuna

We just stay at the Coco bay resort yesterday (18th of december) and we can say it was perfect. The brand new structure is very beautiful with very pure modern lines and a great use of woods. The rooms are very confortable and the bathroom amazing. The private beach is nice and the sea in front is calm which not so common if you know about Sri Lanka beaches.

But what we liked more was the dinner: a perfect mix of Sri lankan cousine and modern taste. At the end we can not mention about the staff that was professional and friendly at the same time. Definitively a place to suggest. Vittorio and Paola from Rome

Mentioned in this post
Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Beach Resort in Galle Area - Coco Bay Unawatuna

It is very much open, finished and a little slice of luxury heaven. The true definition of a boutique hotel where all the details have been thought of. Excellent service as well. We arrived here after a hectic experience at another, very established 'luxury' hotel and this one puts it to shame. A must visit.

Get answers to your questions about Southern Province