We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental in Lourdes

malta
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental in Lourdes

HI, I am planning a trip to Lourdes in May, can anyone tell me if it is worth it renting a car for 5 days during the stay? as journeys with train are quite long and even times of flights are either late in the afternoon (arrival) and leaving early morning.

Thanks

Analise

Malta

6 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,463 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental in Lourdes

A car within Lourdes isn't necessary, specially if you are going as a pilgrim and spending your time within the Domaine where no cars are allowed. If you are traveling around France after that, then by all means. We usually pick up a car at the airport in Tarbes when we are ready to move on. Journeys by car can even be longer than train travel, the advantage is that you set your own time and pace.

malta
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental in Lourdes

ok thanks. what I am finding difficult is travelling between Toulouse to Lourdes, as I am not going to Tarbes airport since flights from Malta are excessive to fly direclty to Lourdes so I was planning to take a car from Toulouse to Lourdes. I am not going with a tour on our own, but since the flight back leaves at 8:55 am and there is 2 hrs travel to get to Toulouse from Lourdes I am afraid to catch a train at that time not to risk not making it, and a taxi is over 250eur for 2 ppl. one way. which would cost more than renting a car.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,966 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental in Lourdes

There are direct trains from Toulouse to Lourdes - should be just as easy as driving. Consider spending the night before your early flight in Toulouse.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
50,218 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental in Lourdes

The first train from Lourdes to Toulouse leaves around 520am arriving in Toulouse at 0729. That barely leaves enough time to get from the station to the airport, which is 20 minutes or so by bus, 10 - 15 by taxi, before checkin closes.

Travelling the previous evening and spending the night in Toulouse would be less stressful and also means you won't have to get out of bed at some silly hour.

Even travelling by car direct from Lourdes to the airport at Toulouse will take nearly two hours, which still requires a very early start from Lourdes.

PS - Canet Plage is many, many km from Lourdes. Why do you post here?

Edited: 07 April 2014, 16:29
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,463 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental in Lourdes

That said, I'd spend the night in Toulouse which can be very pleasant.

malta
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental in Lourdes

Thanks all. will go for the 1 night in Toulouse, totally did not think of that.

Reply to: Car Rental in Lourdes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Canet-Plage
Recent Conversations