We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tour in palenque

british
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
tour in palenque

if we sleep in palenque, is it possible to visit the archeological zone, the temples, the palace, then the falls of agua azul and misolha and finish at night in San Cristobal de las Casas? Is this possible in one day with a private tour and guide?

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,038 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tour in palenque

Doable, probably. Advisable probably not. It's a long and winding road to SCC And takes about five hours. You don't want to be on it after dark.

If I were you, I'd visit the ruins and Agua Azul and then return to Palenque for the night and take the luxury ADO GL bus to SCC the next morning. If you suffer from motion sickness, take medication.

San Cristobal de...
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tour in palenque

That is too much to do in 1 day. To do it right spend 1 day in Palengue. 1 day doing the falls and if you have the time do Yavchillan and Bonapak a 3rd day and then come to San Cris. If you can sleep on a bus take the night bus and save yourself a day.

Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tour in palenque

I would say if you really rushed and ran into zero road construction, you could do it... but, I wouldn't recommend it at all. Palenque is very impressive and covers a large area. It would take you about 2 to 3 hours to do a quick tour of the ruin, but, you would not want to rush such an amazing site! Then, the deal breaker is that you really, really don't want to travel the road from Palenque to San Cristobal when the light is poor or after sunset. The highway is in good shape for the most part, but, it is very windy and if they are repairing it.... you never know how those missing chunks of road will be marked when the crew goes home and it is a very rural area, it gets very dark, road hazards cannot be seen at night. It took us the greater part of an entire day to make it from San Cristobal to Palenque. We were only stopped 4 times for road repair for a total of about an hour. I would say do Palenque and one of the falls one day, then do the other falls and take a leisurely unhurried drive to San Cristobal with a stop off at the Tonina ruins. Also, I agree about Yaxchilan and Bonampak. While staying in Palenque, hire a guide and go to Yaxchilan! It is a full day, but, well worth it! You won't see such pristine forest anywhere else in Mexico and the boat ride to get there is an adventure as well.

4. Re: tour in palenque

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 03:41