We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety in Palenque

Damascus, Virginia
3 posts
Save Topic
safety in Palenque

I heard there are bandits in the jungle and not to travel at night. What are the dangers to a hiker/camper?

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,561 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safety in Palenque

I'm not aware of any safety issues hiking at the Palenque archaeological site/reserve.

Camping in an unfamiliar, foreign destination strikes me as unwise. Exposure not only to crime, but also nature (poisonous snakes in that area much nastier than what one finds camping in the US).

Damascus, Virginia
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: safety in Palenque

I can see your point. He will be camping with a few thousand flower children at the International Rainbow Gathering. Does this make it any safer? or just more complicated?

San Cristobal de...
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safety in Palenque

There are bandits in the Palenque area but I don't know if they are at Palenque itself. I would not try to camp out in the jungle by myself for a number of reasons, bandits just being 1 of them. Don't travel at night on the roads in that area especially in the Agua Azul area.

Damascus, Virginia
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: safety in Palenque

Thanks!

5. Re: safety in Palenque

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2013, 10:16