We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

palenque is unsafe

Which Palenque hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
palenque is unsafe

My bag was nicked outside ruins in a split second when i was paying the collectivo driver. I also saw my collectivo driver take some cash from a person after a bit from someone who was not in the collectivo and smiling. When i went to file a complaint with the justice office the guy wanted a bribe for certified copy of the report. The translator was intimidating and lied that he was the head for the local justice dept. Eventually he filed a complaint and gave me a photocopy.

On your way to ruins u will be hassled non stop by 10yr olds begging, the slightly older ones are peddling mayan beads on the road everywhere and the really older ones will try to sell you hallucinating mushrooms.

When you go to popular local cafe like don mucho you will get no service, the food wont taste good and you can smell the pot smoked by some folks here.

Is this what you want in your vacation? Chichen itza, uxmal,coba and tulum are quite the opposite. Stick with them and you wont regret.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,264 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: palenque is unsafe

$10 bucks says that tourists have been ripped off, abused, and stolen from in places like Chichen Itza and Tulum.

2. Re: palenque is unsafe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2013, 19:40
Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: palenque is unsafe

I must have missed out on the shrooms and weed (darn) other than that I loved palenque town and the ruins

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
92 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: palenque is unsafe

Sorry you had a bad time in Palenque, but most people enjoy it. I would rather go there than the places frequented by cruise ship tours.

In fact, everyplace I have ever visited, some yenta has warned me is unsafe including Miami

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
92 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: palenque is unsafe

and, it is kind of strange that someone who is bothered by others selling or using drugs would live in Amsterdam.

BC
Level Contributor
3,994 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: palenque is unsafe

Charlene, I thought the same thing about someone from Amsterdam.....

I loved Palenque, both the ruins and the town.

I wasn't bothered at all by children selling things and especially not by anyone selling any sort of drugs.

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
2,806 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: palenque is unsafe

First let me say we spent time in Palenque and never had this problem and it probably wouldn't bother me (although we once stayed in Valencia Spain and people shooting heroin in the street right outside our apartment did bother me) but in Amsterdam drugs are not usually sold on the streets. You have to enter a coffee shop or know someone who sells it, so if drugs bother you, if is not in your face.

So I don't think Charlene en Pumpermum are being fair in suggesting someone from Amsterdam should be used to drugs and ridiculing someone for this.

New Milford, NJ
Level Contributor
10 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: palenque is unsafe

We are planning to visit Chiapas/Palenque next month. Are there any real safety concerns? One can get hassled by vendors and pickpocketed almost anywhere. How about serious crime? We will probably be driving. Do we have to worry about being carjacked? Any areas of Chiapas state that we should worry about? Bonampak? Yaxchilan?

Edited: 28 February 2013, 22:05
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
92 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: palenque is unsafe

First off, I have spent time in Amsterdam and people did offer to sell me drugs on the street (and I look rather conservative and don't even drink or smoke) and I saw someone shooting up in an alley there. I never have in Mexico. I think the poster of this topic was angry that (s)he had a bag stolen and posted to "do a number" on Palenque, so the drugs were thrown in. The fact is Palenque is not unsafe for most visitors and drugs are a worldwide issue

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: palenque is unsafe

Dutchfemale

Incredible! I divide my time between NYC and Valencia in Spain. I am no 'shrinking violet', believe me, and yet I have never, ever, seen anything like people shooting up in the street - in either cities. I have been to Amsterdam and did not see it there either so perhaps that makes me blind to the situation.

You say that in Amsterdam drugs are USUALLY only sold in coffee shops etc - but, I would add, not always! I have been approached on the streets there. I would also suppose that the junkies of Amsterdam USUALLY shoot up somewhere off the street - but again, not always would be my guess.

I might suggest to you that people (you used the plural) in my beloved Valencia do not USUALLY shoot up in the street!!

I think that you may have been the unlucky one in that situation.