We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

palenque is unsafe

Which Palenque hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
palenque is unsafe

My bag was nicked outside ruins in a split second when i was paying the collectivo driver. I also saw my collectivo driver take some cash from a person after a bit from someone who was not in the collectivo and smiling. When i went to file a complaint with the justice office the guy wanted a bribe for certified copy of the report. The translator was intimidating and lied that he was the head for the local justice dept. Eventually he filed a complaint and gave me a photocopy.

On your way to ruins u will be hassled non stop by 10yr olds begging, the slightly older ones are peddling mayan beads on the road everywhere and the really older ones will try to sell you hallucinating mushrooms.

When you go to popular local cafe like don mucho you will get no service, the food wont taste good and you can smell the pot smoked by some folks here.

Is this what you want in your vacation? Chichen itza, uxmal,coba and tulum are quite the opposite. Stick with them and you wont regret.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
92 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: palenque is unsafe

Good point, donaldbane. I have enjoyed my charming visit to lovely Valencia. I think we all write about our travels from what we see and that isn't the same for each person. My difficulty with this topic "Palenque is Unsafe" is that it fosters a false impression of Mexico, a place I love dearly. That people will be robbed, etc. We know that can happen anywhere, but it is NOT unsafe for the majority of visitors. The topic is not just a report on a bad trip, but an effort to make people stay away.

The part about the drugs in Palenque is kind of absurd considering everyone knows the OP's hometown Amsterdam is well known for its drug scene. If that offends to say, sorry, but it is the truth. When I was there some street addicts grabbed a woman's bag and ran. It doesn't mean I would tell people not to visit...I mean I live in a high crime city myself.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: palenque is unsafe

Totally agree. I always read posts on here with more than a large pinch of salt. More often than not I am the 'meanist' hombre on the street. I backpack all over the world on a limited budget but have never (lucky or not!) found myself in an apprehensive situation. I head off to Mexico tomorrow for a month with my little backpack and no sense of danger!!

Adios

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
2,902 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: palenque is unsafe

Donaldbane: have fun in Mexico. We did backpacking too and loved it.

Did not want to insult Valencia or its inhabitants, was just irritated about the persons saying someone from Amsterdam should not complain about drugs. Yes Amsterdam has a drugs scene (like most major cities in the world). I live 30 minutes from Amsterdam and go there regularly but have never been offered drugs. Not saying it does not happen, but it never happened to me. Maybe people speaking another language than Dutch marking them out as tourists will be approached more.

And of course everyone writes from their own perspective...

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Reply
14. Re: palenque is unsafe

Well, not eveyone in Amsterdam/Holland is a drug lover or a pot smoker. Like not all Americans want to make war and dont actually think Amsterdam is a country.

15. Re: palenque is unsafe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2014, 05:17