We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Merida-Escarcega-Palenque drive

Which Palenque hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
Merida-Escarcega-Palenque drive

I am planning to drive from Merida to Palenque via Escarcega next week and several locals tell me the road through that part of the state of Campeche is lightly travelled and not particularly safe. I dismissed these concerns as being exaggerations, but during a brief online search did find reports of trucks and even an ADO bus being held up.

I will be travelling that road during the day and would appreciate any comments by people who have recently driven that way.

Many thanks.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Merida-Escarcega-Palenque drive

I want to make the same drive tomorrow but hear it can be difficult! Supposedly 5 hours by car! I travel to Campeche a lot and know they are almost done with the new roads. But after Campeche not so sure! :-S

Edited: 21 March 2013, 13:06
Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Merida-Escarcega-Palenque drive

It's 330 miles and more like 7 hours. But not difficult at all.

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Merida-Escarcega-Palenque drive

Kimberly, check the Merida Forum, where I raised the same question, and got good information.

4. Re: Merida-Escarcega-Palenque drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2014, 04:19