We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palenque to Xpuhil

Which Palenque hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
991 posts
1,695 reviews
Save Topic
Palenque to Xpuhil

I am trying to figure out how to figure out how to get from Palenque to Xpuhil and am having a rough go of it as the ADO site is sorted out by state. Do I take the bus to Campeche, and then take a separate Cozumel bus? I strongly sense that I do not want to get stranded in Escarcega! Does the Palenque - Campeche bus even stop there?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palenque to Xpuhil

From a quick look at the ADO site, it looks like you'll need to switch buses in Escarcega; it shows two late-day departures from there to Xpujil. These are "de paso" stops, meaning the bus is on the way from somewhere else, and might be a bit early or late.

There may also be 2nd-class buses passing Xpujil from Escarcega, so that's an option as well. They just stop a bit more often.

Going to Calakmul? There's no public transport that I'm aware of, other than a taxi from Xpujil. We stayed at Rio Bec Dreams (liked it) which is out of town and therefore impractical by bus - except 2nd class which'd stop there on request. They offer trips to the ruins. Xpujil town didn't look like much.

California
Level Contributor
991 posts
1,695 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palenque to Xpuhil

Thank-you. That helps a lot. Have tracked down a seemingly very capable guide with 4WD vehicle. Two days for three people was approximately $140 U.S. apiece, which we all thought was reasonable. I know Xpuhil isn't much, but I have long wanted to stay someplace small and obscure. And Xpuhil clearly is just that!

Mukilteo, Washington
Level Contributor
746 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Palenque to Xpuhil

Actually, while in Xpujil don't miss the ruins of Xpujil and Becan which are right in town. In Xpujil we stayed at the Hotel Calakmul, a mid-range place with AC and a swimming pool for 500 pesos - even the attached restaurant was pretty good. Take a lunch and lots of water to Calakmul, there are no services at the archeological site itself.

California
Level Contributor
991 posts
1,695 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palenque to Xpuhil

Thanks for the tip, Cascade Bob. I live in Palm Springs where the mantra is: HYDRATE!

5. Re: Palenque to Xpuhil

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2015, 05:15