We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much of Kirby Muxlow caste can be see from the outside?

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Topic
How much of Kirby Muxlow caste can be see from the outside?

Kirby Muxloe castle is shut for the season. Having seen photos of it, we'd like to visit. How much of the outside can be seen when the castle is shut and is it worth making a visit?

Thanks

3 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
3,038 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much of Kirby Muxlow caste can be see from the outside?

You can get a pretty good view from the outside, I think.

As far as I can remember, the ticket office is within the main gatehouse - so you can walk right around the outside banks of the moat (if you look at Google images you'll see what I mean) and walk across the bridge to the front of the castle.

There's not much to it, but it's attractive... despite the drone of the M1 just a few feet away (you can't see it but you can hear it...)

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,507 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much of Kirby Muxlow caste can be see from the outside?

Not much to see really, but if you are in the area, Ashby Castle may be a better bet

english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/…

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How much of Kirby Muxlow caste can be see from the outside?

Thank you for your replies. The information about the ticket office being in the gatehouse is very useful Geegesh. I've been looking at google maps and also OS 1:250000 maps.

I'm aware there isn't a lot left of the castle aarvark, but feel on a sunny day with reflections in the moat it is worth going to see. Ashby-de-la-Zouch castle is also on the list, but of course that hasn't got a moat....

Reply to: How much of Kirby Muxlow caste can be see from the outside?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kirby Muxloe