We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternative to Udaipur, near Jaipur?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Alternative to Udaipur, near Jaipur?

Hi,

Initially I was going to go from Jaipur to Udaipur.

But I don't like the prospect of training or driving up to 7 hours.

So, instead, I'd like to visit a town or two that is closer to Jaipur.

PUSHKAR looks good and relaxing. As does Alwar.

Any other recommendations for overnights near Jaipur?

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
212 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alternative to Udaipur, near Jaipur?

jimmy. what kind of destination are you looking for? in my opinion pushkar is better alternative than alwar, as the town is quite unique and peaceful. although I will still suggest you for udaipur. there are 2 alternatives. 1 spend a day or two or pushkar and then move on to udaipur - they are in same direction, therefore you'll cut the distance from jaipur. else you can cach overnight train from jaipur to udaipur. Udaipur happens to be jewel of rajasthan. the choice is yours!! there are couple of destination in rajasthan which are heritage oriented - heritage havelis! pleanty of places to choose. you can visit bharatpur (for bird sanctuary) depending on when you are visiting. neemrana, samode, devigarh etc all have havelis/palaces converted hotels/resort. the list is endless when it comes to rajasthan

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alternative to Udaipur, near Jaipur?

Udaipur is wonderful, but if you do not want the journey then I'd go for the Pushkar Palace Hotel in Pushkar. It's a nice chilled place, a little away from the busiest part of the small town, but overlooking the big tank and steps to the ghats almost alongside.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,510 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alternative to Udaipur, near Jaipur?

Jodhpur is also a good option nearer Jaipur, you can visit the Mehrangarth fort Jaswant Thada Umaid Bhaven Palace, Baba Ramdev, Ganesh Temple and buy spices at the market around the clock Tower

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,682 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alternative to Udaipur, near Jaipur?

Between Jaipur and Udaipur, halfway, there is Shahpura Bagh, take a look.

Alternatively, take a look at Bundi.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alternative to Udaipur, near Jaipur?

Thank you for all these suggestions.

I noticed no one mentioned Kishangarh: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kishangarh

Why not?

Many things to consider! I will investigate all of these options.

Manly we are looking for a place that is not too hectic, with some history. We like physical activities.

Some people have warned me that Pushkar is too much of tourist trap. Is that true? .

Edited: 30 July 2013, 16:14
Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
212 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alternative to Udaipur, near Jaipur?

well kishangarh is not on a tourist map.also, ajmer & pushkar have been given importance for obvious reasons!

well, in every tourist place there are traps/scams. that should not scare you. once you know how certain things happen you can plan and tackle it in best manner. I have been to pushkar, and I still would like to visit again, if chance arises!

7. Re: Alternative to Udaipur, near Jaipur?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2015, 12:15
Get answers to your questions about Jajpur