We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

15 lbs !!! How Strict is Qantas?

Breezy Point, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
15 lbs !!! How Strict is Qantas?

I am going on my first vacation to Australia beginning next week and am so excited about this trip. We will be flying from NY, to LA, to Sydney and onto Cairns before stop and will not see my checked luggage until Cairns. The Qantas website states that my carry-on cannot exceed 15 lbs. I bought a new lightweight carry-on with wheels as I am in my mid-60s and can't lug that shoulder bag as I used to, and, in reality, I'll be living out of my carry-on for the 30+ hour trip . I even bought a baggage scale to be sure I didn't exceed the allowance. Much to my horror, I busted 15 lbs packing carrying only 1 change of clothes and a very ightweight bathing suit (just in case my checked baggage get lost for awhile,) only my camera film - not my cameras (it can't go through baggage screening in USA), my sandals (have hard to fit feet and would have trouble replacing them) , my medication , and a toothbrush and, toothpaste! I want to bring other stuff for the long flights - reading material, a snack,.etc Has anyone had experience with Qantas strictly enforcing the 15lb allowance? Or is it more liberal about the weight if the carry-on meets its size requirements? Has anyone else had this problem? Thank you so much for your advise and comments.

Stow, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
17 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 15 lbs !!! How Strict is Qantas?

Good question, beachbum43! I was actually going to post a similar question about Qantas, as I am leaving next week for a trip from the states as well.

We're flying internationally to Sydney on United - which will allow us 2 checked bags of 70 lbs each and one carryon.

We have 4 domestic flights booked on Qantas to take us around Australia. Our economy tickets allow only 1 checked bag of 70 lbs and then 2 carryons of 15 pounds.

Given that we'll be in Australia for a month and plan to buy souveniers, we have 3 bags to check - 2 of them must be checked and one would be a carryon roller bag here in the States. I'd prefer to carry it on, but the bag itself is 12 pounds. If they're strict about the weight, it will have to be checked. ***Anyone know how much that will cost us?***

I called Qantas yesterday but they weren't all that helpful - just said that the gate agent would make that determination.

(PS - I just invested in a luggage scale myself!! :) Have a great trip, beachbum43!)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,396 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 15 lbs !!! How Strict is Qantas?

They worry less about the weight, provided you don't carry it so it looks heavy, than tdey do about the size.

Ours are very rarely under 15lb (7kg). If female you can also carry a handbag (purse) in which i suggest the tootbrush etc goes.

Stow, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
17 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 15 lbs !!! How Strict is Qantas?

Thanks - that's helpful (it's the same in the States - you can get away with a bag as long as you can carry it and it fits in the overhead compartment)

Can't wait for our trip!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,396 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 15 lbs !!! How Strict is Qantas?

The key isn't fit in the ohead compartment..it's within the dimension for carry on...

2 x 105cm (41in) bags or (this will usually include the handbag)

1 x 105cm (41in) bag plus 1 x 185cm (73in) non rigid garment bag or

1 x 115cm (45in) bag

you add up the three dimensions to get the size...

48cm (19in) + 34cm (13in) + 23cm (9in) = 105cm (41in)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 15 lbs !!! How Strict is Qantas?

Beachbum . I am soon traveling to the Caribbean. And our first flight is also well in excess of 30hours

I have to manage for 8 weeks with just 20kilos in TOTAL. Im sure you can manage with 15lbs of hand luggage.

For a start I'm not sure why anyone would be lugging dozens of canisters of film these days. You have two options there - either buy it duty free at the airport when you reach Australia or better still buy a digital camera.

However GW is right about Qantas and other domestic airlines in Australia. They are much more worried about volume rather than weight - so if it fits comfortably in the o/head locker you should have no problem.

Woodford, Australia
Level Contributor
236 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 15 lbs !!! How Strict is Qantas?

I don't think you will have too much trouble if your carryon is not too large. You are much more likely to have problems if it exceeds the size limits significantly.

I would use Qantas a couple of trips a month and have never seen them weigh carryon luggage (Unlike Jetstar and Virgin who both routinely do this at check in - don't expect to get away with overweight carryon luggage with either).

Cheers skip

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 15 lbs !!! How Strict is Qantas?

I have been a frequent flyer with Qantas for many years and travel Jetstar some 4 times a year and have never had my carry on luggage weighed except once in Heathrow and that was 2 days after September 11

In my carry on luggage I carry a digital camera, a video camera, all my chargers for cameras, mobile phone, pda etc. and then a toiletry bag which weighs a ton with all my shampoos, deodorants, gels, etc at least 2 books, a jacket and then some

I do appreciate that the bag shouldnt be too overweight as it could kill someone if it fell out of the overhead locker but I do think the 7 kg limit is a bit of a joke because as soon as you walk through customs, there are all these shops selling things, so of course if you buy there, you have no choice but to take them on as hand luggage

Also remember if you take a bag with wheels on it which is great as you do have a long walk at many airports, you can also carry a briefcase or camera bag so you could put your snacks, reading material, passport etc in there so it is easier to find what you want

Level Contributor
421 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 15 lbs !!! How Strict is Qantas?

Hi Beachbum! I flew united and did not have my carry on weighed, but it was small for the overhead bin. I put my snacks and magazines in a small-ish paper bag with handles, the kind you get in a nicer store when you buy something small. They didn't look twice at that, plus my messenger-satchel type purse/bag with wallet, glasses, ipod, etc. As previously mentioned, Virgin and other in-country flights did have the bags weighed and we had to pay a surcharge, but the shorter flights won't need as much carryon stuff after you've recovered from the loooong flight. For the change of clothes you bring, pack extremely light-weight and summery clothes- no need for dressy slacks, etc. My flights to CA and Aus were completely packed both ways so I'm sure that part of the regs are to prevent people from bringing rediculous amounts of stuff into the cabin. You will have a wonderful trip!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
495 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 15 lbs !!! How Strict is Qantas?

My sister flew with Qantas last trip to Australia from UK a few months ago.

On her return from Adelaide, they weighed her hand luggage as well as her suitcase. The hand luggage was 9kg and she had to take items out and repack them in her suitcase, quite embarrassing at check-in, as there was a considerable queue. They would allow her suitcase to be a few kg over 20kg, but not her hand luggage to be over 7kg.

Breezy Point, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 15 lbs !!! How Strict is Qantas?

Thank you all. for your comments and advise.

Thelmproperbostonian - have a great trip - hope you can get all your sourvenirs home (I'm trying to figure how to get boomerangs for my grandsons in my checked , etc, etc)!!

I have travled quite a bit overseas and have reduced the amount of 'stuff' I packc onsiderably over the years. I hate lugging luggage - but when on a tour, as my OZ trip next week, I'm never sure how much free time I'll have to do laundry.........and who wants to waste free time doing it !!

The three separate luggage requirements (AA for USA, both Qantas domestic and international for OZ) threw me......but, when I leave Sydney to return home I can pack 2 checked bags @50 lbs each....loaded with sourvenirs and dirty laundry !!!

We are soooooo excited about visit Oz - and thank you again

........................now, another of my last minute concerns about locking your luggage with 'TSA locks'......I think I'll just use shoelaces so the zippers don't work there way open. :^)