We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Week in Tasmania - mid-April, 2018

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
42 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Week in Tasmania - mid-April, 2018

We're planning a return trip to Australia next April, and want to visit Tasmania. We'll (likely) have our daughter, SIL, and two grandchildren (5 and 1) with us. We can spend no more than a week in Tasmania, and are trying to decide whether to base ourselves somewhere and take day trips, or split the week between two places (seems the better option.) We don't care too much about beaches, though the younger ones do; we're interested in native wildlife, scenery, history, etc. Reasonable costs are important, as well.

Suggestions as to must-see areas are welcomed, particularly things the kids would enjoy; the 5-year old is brilliant and loves animals, fossils (dinosaurs, especially) and nature in general. (Dad's a biologist.) My husband and I are fascinated by the native fauna.

Thanks in advance for your ideas (I know we could easily spend a month there, but we do what we can...)

6 replies to this topic
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,536 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Week in Tasmania - mid-April, 2018

Hi,

We were on Tasmania for 10 days this past March. We flew into Launceston and out of Hobart, and chose Cradle Mountain, Bicheno, Hobart and Port Arthur as bases for our stay. If you are going to base yourselves in two locations - perhaps Launceston and Hobart - but some day trips can be quite long from there - so overnights at Cradle Mountain and Port Arthur are a good idea (if those are places that you choose to visit ... and I would recommend them based on your 'wish list'.)

Suggest reading through the TQ's on the right side of the Tasmania forum page - lots of great advice & suggestions there to help plan your trip: https:/…ShowForum-g255096-i887-Tasmania.html (In particular, the "Top Ten Must Sees" and "Touring by Car" will help get you started with your planning.)

April will likely be a bit cold for beaches - other than playing in the sand ( if it's not too cool/windy) and enjoying the scenic coastline - Bicheno and Freycinet are good areas for this.

When planning your day trips, keep in mind the shorter daylight hours with the time change in April so that you're not travelling close to dusk or later (when the risk of wildlife on the roads is much greater.)

Enjoy ... it's a wonderful place to explore!

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,724 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Week in Tasmania - mid-April, 2018

It's just about impossible to see all of Tasmania in a week, so you need to decide what you want to do. A one-way trip between Hobart and Launceston - focussing on the east OR west of the island - would work, as would a focus on the south from Hobart or north from Launceston.

Note in particular that flying into and out of Hobart with Cradle Mountain as you top "must see" is a very common bad idea. Launceston is the main airport for Cradle Mountain.

In addition to the Top Questions on the right of this page, there are others on the right of the Hobart and Launceston forum pages.

I've not had a question about fossils before. :)

The obvious places are Fossil Bluff near Wynyard, Fossil Bay at Triabunna or (best known) Fossil Cliffs on Maria Island. They are all marine sediment fossils - mostly brachiopods.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
13,747 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Week in Tasmania - mid-April, 2018

Hi,

There's not a lot more I can say that Susan & Luigi haven't already said, just a couple of things you will need to keep in mind when here.

You'll have to account for Easter and Tasmanian School holidays.

School Holidays - 13 Apr 2018 (Fri) 29 Apr 2018 (Sun)

Easter - 30 March (Fri) 2nd Apr (Mon)

There's also an event in Tasmania called Targa Tasmania, if you check their web site you'll see the dates (at the moment I can't get in) this event does have road closures, if here at that time yo may come across some closures but you can easily work around them. - https://targa.com.au/

And keep in mind as said it's the school holidays and many Tasmanians use this time to go to the beach areas on the east coast before winter sets in, and some accommodation places may set a minimum night stay.

Safe travels - Robert

Edited: 21 September 2017, 22:58
Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
42 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Week in Tasmania - mid-April, 2018

I appreciate all the great advice. Looks as if we'll just barely miss the school holidays (thanks for the heads-up!) I am thinking of flying into Launceston, out of Hobart; maybe we'll do a couple nights at a time en route down. So much to see and do, so little time!!!

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
13,747 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Week in Tasmania - mid-April, 2018

Hi,

>> So much to see and do, so little time!!! << we hear that more than we can count :o)

Even though you're missing the school holidays you will find many will add the school holidays to the Easter break.

It's great idea to be flying into Launceston and out of Hobart, this will maximise your stay and viewing.

if you get to Cradle Mountain, it's a wonderful place to stay, and if you do go, go for a walk along the start of the Overland Track from Ronny Creek Car park to Ronny Creek Bridge - map link below, there's a good chance of seeing wombats right up against the boardwalk. There's another link below which shows my wife on the boardwalk with a wombat -

Images - https:/…n-89Kxxp

Ronny Creek walk - https://goo.gl/maps/vZ8r5VTXZtm

If you go to an animal wildlife sanctuaries, look at -

Bonorong & Trowunna.

Rob

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
42 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Week in Tasmania - mid-April, 2018

Great suggestions, all! Many thanks. Time to get serious, as we're only 3 months out now. Yikes!!!

Edited: 23 December 2017, 17:57
Reply to: Week in Tasmania - mid-April, 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted