We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne Sydney Canberra - Allocation of days

Budapest, Hungary
1 post
Save Topic
Melbourne Sydney Canberra - Allocation of days

Hi,

I am going on a conference in February to Canberra (from Budapest, Hungary). I have the chance to spend in total 9 days in Australia, 3 before the conf, 2 in Canberra on the conf and 4 after the conf. I thought that on one way I could go to Sydney and the other to Melbourne (most flight options go through these cities anyway).

I would be really interested to see some nature, e.g. the ocean and cold temperature rain forests of Victoria. I probably cannot afford renting a car, so I need to figure out where I have the better options to see natural sights without a car.

Could you help to decide? In specific

1. Do you think it is worth visiting both Sydney and Melbourne in such a short visit? If not, then, which one would you suggest?

2. Can you recommend places to visit without a car?

3. How should I allocate my days for these 3 cities + surrounding areas?

Thanks,

Lili

3 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,855 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne Sydney Canberra - Allocation of days

If you are attending a conference in Canberra for 2 days, I assume you will not be free to do any sightseeing during that time. If you want to see the excellent museums and galleries in Canberra and/or get out to nearby Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve or Namadgi National Park to see native flora and fauna (which would require a car), then you need to allocate another 2-3 days in Canberra outside of the conference days.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,468 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne Sydney Canberra - Allocation of days

I’d probably spend the 3 days before in Sydney because it’s closer to Canberra with a pretty reliable bus service and the 4 days after in Melbourne, however, I’m a bit worried about your budget if you think you can’t afford car hire. These are expensive cities so check hotel pricing for your dates on booking.com to make sure they are affordable. Natural sites from Sydney include the Blue Mountains, Royal National Park, Lane Cove National Park and the South Coast (down to Kiama) mostly accessible by public transport (plus private ferry for Royal National Park). From Melbourne include Phillip Island, Yarra Valley, Dandenong Ranges, Mornington Peninsula Great Ocean Rd most of which need a car or tour as Public Transport to most of these is limited or non existent.

But check your budget first as Canberra is also surrounded by natural sights, maybe good for that first 3 days, then head to Sydney. A car would be an advantage in Canberra though.

All the best.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
3,849 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne Sydney Canberra - Allocation of days

You can visit the GOR as a 1 day (12-14 hours) or 2 day (with one overnight stop) bus tour. I've googled these links - have not done these tours so I cannot recommend one way or the other. You can find others if you do your own search.

http://www.aroundandabout.com.au

https:/…

http://anttouring.com.au/great-ocean-road/

Reply to: Melbourne Sydney Canberra - Allocation of days
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted