We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Jetstar disaster in Hawaii

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Another Jetstar disaster in Hawaii

More than 300 passengers have been stranded in Hawaii for 2 days because of another Jetstar plane broke down.

Low cost = low maintenance!!!

I wonder if Jetstar paid for the extra 2 days accom for those stranded!!!

Jetstar CEO Alan Joyce,PULL YOUR FINGER OUT!!!!!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,296 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Jetstar disaster in Hawaii

I think this was the same plane as the one your family had the problem with (cancelled flight) - not another plane. Could be wrong though.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,360 posts
1,526 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Jetstar disaster in Hawaii

John, my kids just returned from Phuket on Jetstar and they said the standard was excellent and were surprised to find them so good.

I think Jetstar stuffed up totally in Hawaii, by not bringing in a new plane to cater for travellers, especially since they knew the problem with the petrol gauge was no little problem. Jetstar originally stated it was a frayed seat belt problem for the delay. Yes, Jetstar did pay for extra accom plus they were allowed to use the Qantas lounge.

This happened with Qantas on our flight to Perth they told us it was just small hiccup with the wheels but later when we had to return to Sydney (half way to Peth) we found out it was a engine on fire !!.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Jetstar disaster in Hawaii

Yes I think it is all part of the one problem.

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Jetstar disaster in Hawaii

Ellemay,

I'm sure Jetstar do have some good flights but it's plainly clear that they don't have the fleet to fly internationally at this point in time.If a plane breaks down they don't have another plane to cover it and 300 passengers lose out.

I understand that planes break down,they are machines just like my car and boat,which also break down from time to time.

My gripe with Jetstar is that a plane in Sydney broke down on Friday night,so they kicked off 200 passengers from a Melb-Hon flight,then flew the plane to Sydney so the Sydney passengers could fly to Honolulu instead of the Melbourne passengers.

Someone tell me that Jetstar did the right thing by kicking the Melbourne passengers off so the Sydney passengers could fly to Honolulu instead.

It's just on the 5pm news now and all the passengers said they'll never fly Jetstar again.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,360 posts
1,526 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another Jetstar disaster in Hawaii

totally agree John.........no passenger should be treated in such a shabby way even in tough conditions. I would have hated to have been on those planes.......

It reminds me of my personal horror story when our plane from Frankfurt flying to Singapore had problems getting the wheels up after one hour in flight. They had to dump the petrol over the Black Forest before trying to land again.

Once safely landed we were told it would take about one hour to fix and we were not allowed off the plane due to all security in F/Airport being closed for the night. (midnight flight).

Anyway to cut a long story short we finally left eight hours later !! We had no food as they had to throw it out because of health regulations...so basically we all got pissed !! and arrived in Singapore 16 hrs later...all connections stuffed up...plus my luggage was then LOST !!

The pleasures of flying ....................

Land of Oz
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another Jetstar disaster in Hawaii

Well, this really worries me: my husband and I are booked to fly to Honolulu with Jetstar later in the year. We're flying on to the US mainland after that, and since we have our own business, at least my husband has to get back in time to do our clients' work.

Hmmm....perhaps another airline will get some more business from us

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another Jetstar disaster in Hawaii

Folks I think the main issue here is not that these maintenance issue arise, but how the airline deals with it.

All airlines have these issues, and of course some concertina into major disasters when they are poorly handled.

What amazed me totally was Simon Westaway on the news, saying, well what do these people want, us to conjure up a plane out of nowhere? He just doesn't get it. People want honest info. I saw people interviewed more annoyed and angry they were just left in the dark, at the airport, rather than being left in Hawaii for 2 days.

People are willing to be flexible and tolerant under the severest of provocations, but hate being feed a line of total baloney, or worse no information at all.

You'd think after all the previous major hassles airlines have had, there would be a "master plan" for issues of this nature. But no. So what are all those strategic planners (ie senior managers) being paid for ???

It's a disgrace of similar proportions to the Jetblue incident in snow and ice in the USA recently, where people were left on planes for 12 hours plus, and heads should roll. But they won't.

Sadly the Jetstar aircraft have emblazoned on their fuselage, "Part of th Qantas Group" How sad. But then QF is about to be pillaged in a way that will make the Ansett debacle look like play time. Cheerz Wab

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another Jetstar disaster in Hawaii

I'm topping this as I found it when searching for otther passengers' woes with jetstar... and I was very interested in one of Wabster's comments: P"eople are willing to be flexible and tolerant under the severest of provocations, but hate being feed a line of total baloney, or worse no information at all."

If I ever find out how to send an email to Jetstar, I might quote that... it's my feeling exactly. They have abandoned a destination for which I have booked (and paid for) a return flight. They'll take me across as the ticket says, but if I want to come back home, I'll just have to find my way to some other country that Jetstar flies from, and they will allow me (depending on availability) to come back that way. They have chosen one on my behalf, but if it isn't physically possible to get there, well, that's too bad. Will they pay for me to get to one of their pick-up points? No, "we're a budget airline". This, apparently, gives them the right to sell tickets to routes without feeling that they are obliged to actually fly there! International aviation is a funny business!

Of course, you can write to them and complain.... but they don't, it seems, have to go to the trouble of answering (well, it's been only 8 days, so maybe I should hold fire on that one a bit).

As the heading to this post said, "Another Jetstar disaster"!

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
725 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another Jetstar disaster in Hawaii

Hey Allen.. I feel your pain. The company I work for had booked me on a JQ flight from Whitsunday Coast to Sydney on the direct flight both ways... JQ then decided to cancel that run with out informing any pre booked passengers.. very professional (NOT!!) After calling them up and asking what will happen with my flight I was told that they had me flyting from Hamiltion Island at an extra cost (to me) of $100 for the return transfers!!

I do always try and fly with Virgin Blue as I know that any changes on their runs never amounts to me paying for extra accommodation or transfers.. it is not a case of you get what you pay for but just plain bad service on behalf of JQ.. if you do have a problem with them then talk with your feet and support some one that appreciates your buisness.

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another Jetstar disaster in Hawaii

when its good its good when its bad its dreadful.