We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone been to Laura (FNQ)?

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
569 posts
172 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone been to Laura (FNQ)?

Hi, my husband and I are planning to drive to Laura from the Tablelands and see the Aboriginal rock art and then go on to Cooktown for a few days. I have been in contact with the Quinkan Cultural Centre there and he said that there were rooms at the camping place in town that were basic but clean and secure. Does anyone know anything about them? We would be driving up there and checking out the Cultural Centre and the self-drive places (Split Rock) and then taking a tour with a guide the next morning, going on to Cooktown in the afternoon. Do you have any knowledge of the tours or accommodations, or places to eat that tourists are welcome? The CC guy said that they have a "premium" tour that only a few people a year take that go to some spectacular rock art sites. We are very keen on rock art so are quite interested in this, but would like some cooberating (sp?) information. Thank you very much for any help you can give us.

Sally Simmons aka kooikermom

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone been to Laura (FNQ)?

You sound like a traveller rather than a tourist. Hats off to you. Maybe a eye opener but an experience to be sure.

I have been up that way a few times but only based ourselves in Cooktown. They do daily rock art guided tours also from Hope Vale, an aboriginal community near Cooktown. Not the Quinkan site but of equal importance. The premier art sites of the Quinkan are closed to general public due to traditional sensitivity.

Also you can travel through aboriginal land to Elim Beach

Split Rock, as far as I am aware, is the only site you can self guide.

It is isolated, no sealed roads 4wd only but a such a diverse experience from the lush rainforested and well populated areas that accommodation maybe be basic. Cooktown is not far though if you did want some creature comfort at night. Laura is an outpost, really.

Many options up that way, really some beautiful waterways around Cooktown.

If you travel this June, added bonus, Laura Dance festival. Aboriginals meet from all over the Cape York peninsular for a festival that continues for days.

indigenoustourism.australia.com/business.asp…

http://www.quinkancountry.org/

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
569 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone been to Laura (FNQ)?

thank you, verdant, for your reply and the helpful links you gave me (also the compliment (-: ) We want to take the tour that leaves at 7 am so will want to stay in Laura instead of driving over from Cooktown. Then we'll go on to Cooktown and take the Hope Vale tours from there and hopefully get to Elim Beach as well. We are very excited to go to this special region, Thank you for making the arrangements easier for us to do with your links.

kooikermom

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone been to Laura (FNQ)?

Just keep in mind you may be out of your comfort zone. Possibly just about 100% tourism north of Cooktown is 4wd camping trips. There is virtually no developement north of Cooktown. Amazing when you consider the size of the area.

I haven't heard of any Corroboree in FNQ so did a google and found that Cooktown did have one, but perhaps a one off. Got excited there for a moment. Perhaps write to Cook Shire Council for further guidance. Tourism has not taken off yet so not much happening, but on the flip side what does happen is not aimed at the tourism industry so quite authentic.

http://www.cook.qld.gov.au/

4. Re: Anyone been to Laura (FNQ)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 11:23