We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

items from Australia

Los Angeles CA
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
items from Australia

Hello,

Would love to know any suggestions as to some special "only available in Australia" types of things to bring back when visiting Oz? Thanks a lot for any suggestions!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,840 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: items from Australia

Obviously aboriginal artefacts would be high on the list...make sure they don't have "made in china" marked with a little sticker..it's best not to buy them from markets and souvenir shops...

The stuffed kangaroo toy is also another common present (these can be bough at markets for the best price).

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,840 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: items from Australia

Hit enter at the wrong time..

Other more unusual but "local" gifts include "Akubra" hats and Drizabone coats...

sydney,aust.
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: items from Australia

Buy a didgeridoo at the channon markets.

Sydney
Level Contributor
361 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: items from Australia

This is going to sound really kitch, but lots of our visitors seem to like the gold plated gum leaves that you see at the shops around Darling Harbour and the Rocks in Sydney, particularly the ones where the gold follows the leaf veins (if that is the correct technical expression) giving a filigree pattern. In print it sounds terrible, but they do look very stylish worn well. My wife often wears one out on a black evening dress, particularly when abroad.

There are some superb wood handicrafts made from our local timbers like scribbly bark, jarrah etc. Go to real galleries, not tacky tourist shops for these.

A superb Rutherglen show Muscat would warm the cockles of anyone's heart and there is precious little of this Australian gem of a fortified wine exported. Seppelt's DP63 is a sound example. A good talking point at the post-trip dinner party.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: items from Australia

A parking ticket. Ask an Australian police officer who's busy handing out tickets if you can get a copy for a souvenir.

As a Lutheran, I'd like to get a copy of the Lutheran Church of Australia's hymnal.

Tim-tams. It's the best junk food snack that I've had in Australia. It's like a Keebler Fudge shoppe cookie but far superior. I haven't seen it in the US at all.

Skip the Vegemite.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,840 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: items from Australia

Darth,

Last year in Port D. the japanese tourists literally bought the shipping boxes of Tim Tams straight from the supaermarket..there wasn't one to be ound anywhere..are they that unique?

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: items from Australia

My buddy in Brisbane, claiming that Australians had the world's best junk food, introduced me to Tim-Tams. For me, it's more fun than anything really all that special; but I'd sure like to get another box of it!

I saw them in Hong Kong grocery stores. Perhaps they are most frequently in Commonwealth related places in the world.

I don't understand Japanese tourists at all.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,840 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: items from Australia

So you were taught the "correct way" to eat a tim tam?

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: items from Australia

Nope. bowing thrice in Australia's general direction?

What's the "correct way" to eat a Tim-tam?

Australia
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: items from Australia

bite both ends off the tim-tip, dip one end into milk, coffee, tea etc and suck (like a straw) YUM!