We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route difficulty

dublin
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Route difficulty

Hi All

We thought we had our route well planned until we realised the distance betwen hervey bay and airlie beach.(it seems to be an overnight bus) Anyone have any suggestions how we should swap and change our itinerary around. The Whitsundays can't be moved as we have our boat booked. All suggestions welcome!!

day 1 Sydney

day 2 Sydney

day 3 Sydney

day 4 Sydney

day 5 Brisbane

day 6 Brisbane

day 7 Noosa

day 8 Noosa

day 9 Hervey

day 10 Hervey

day 11 airlie beach

day 12 whitsundays

day 13 whitsundays

day 14 whitsundays

day 15 airlie beach/townsville

day 16 townsville

day 17 Cairns

day 18 Cairns

day 19 cairns

day 20 cairns

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
786 posts
603 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route difficulty

Um!!! Are you flying from Sydney to Brisbane?

If you're driving you won't have time to stop anywhere for more than fuel and a coffee.

dublin
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route difficulty

Yep flying from Sydney to Brisbane. the rest we will be busing

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
786 posts
603 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route difficulty

I'm not going to be a big help on driving in NQ - I drove to Rocky in the 70s and other times I've used a plane to get to locations (have you checked prices on Virgin etc?)

Not sure about timing in a bus but I'd be allowing about 11-12 hours in a car so a really long day. At least on a bus you can sleep.

Is the reason you chose Airlie Beach because it is close to Whitsundays or was there something in particular you wanted to see?

sydney,aust.
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Route difficulty

Cut brisbane and get a cheap flight from sydney to maroochy airport.

on the sunshime coast near noosa.

dublin
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Route difficulty

Yeah we have to be in airlie to catch the boat around the Whitsundays is there any possibility of flying from Hervey Bay to Airlie Beach?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
786 posts
603 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Route difficulty

Doesn't look like any direct flights (checked Virgin/Jetstar & Qantas) - but Qantas do Brisbane/Mackay from about $115 one way.

Anything in particular you wanted to see in Hervey Bay? (pretty, but nothing special in my view)

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Route difficulty

ok if you can change your sydney to brisbane flight, i would make everything one day earlier, and you could also skip brisbane. fly to either brisbane and bus straight out, or fly to maroochydore straight from sydney.

that way you also have more time to spend on fraser island, or seeing the whales, which is why i would guess you are going to hervey bay.

if yo can spare one additional day from sydney, then you have the chance to stay overnight somewhere along the way.

or do you mind spending a long time in the bus? it would save one nights accommodation. and get you past a long drive with not a lot of scenery at least along the pacific highway.

i get why you are spending two days at airlie beach as you need to be there the day before and the night after your sailing.

no you cannot fly direct from hervey bay to airlie, except if you backtrack to brisbane.

if you wanted to fly from proserpine( closest to airlie beach) to cairns that might be possible, but you would have to check.

dublin
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Route difficulty

Thanks for all the help I will get my thinking hat on and do a shuffle around of days and things. Another question- is greyhound the only bus company that will operate on this route for getting from place to place?

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Route difficulty

no greyhound is not the only operator.

there is also premier. this is the website premierms.com.au/newhome/TimeTableSelect.asp

it shows the timetable for the trip too.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,207 posts
1,445 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Route difficulty

You could catch the Tilt Train http://www.traveltrain.com.au/

The Tilt Train travels along the east coast of Queensland, from Brisbane to Rockhampton (and return), with set down/pick up stops at regional cities, including Maryborough West and Gladstone, along the way.

For services from Hervey Bay - Marybororough look at this site for connections.

traveltrain.com.au/traveltrain_services/Coas…