We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hunter Valley/Blue Mountains - advice please

cardiff uk
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Hunter Valley/Blue Mountains - advice please

Planning to spend 5 days between Dec 27th and 31st visiting Port Stephens/Hunter Valley then driving to Blue Mountains. Advice please on how many nights to spend in each place and recommended hotels. We're likely to be in the Blue Mountains for New Year's Eve.

Thanks

Glass House Mountains
Mountains, National Parks
Stony Creek Day-Use Recreation Area
Mountains, National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Hiking Trails, Waterfalls
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,728 posts
1,685 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hunter Valley/Blue Mountains - advice please

Just click on the thread below for info about PS.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i8394-Port_Step…

For Hunter Valley -

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255060-c5736/Sydney:…

It depends on your budget for the Blue Mts.... there are some wonderful places to stay...so maybe give us some idea of your budget....then we can correctly advice.

I would go

2 nights PS

1 night HV

rest Blue MTS.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
791 posts
707 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hunter Valley/Blue Mountains - advice please

richam - question - are you interested in wineries? If so, I'd reverse the timing of previous poster - 1 say PS, 2 d HV. If not fussed about wineries then previous works fine.

Or you could spend a day/night up in Barrington NP.

cardiff uk
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hunter Valley/Blue Mountains - advice please

Thanks. What's to be seen at Barrington NP and how long does it take to drive there from Port Stepehns?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
791 posts
707 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hunter Valley/Blue Mountains - advice please

Over 10 years since I stayed in Barrington area so my memory is a bit hazy on that but it wasn't more than about 2 hours - it would be similar from Hunter wine district.

Barrington Tops NP is a mountainous area behind Dungog - lots of mountain streams, small waterfalls, swimming pools, some rain forest, short bushwalks and higher up there was a hanging swamp (thick moss mat completely covers and floats on the surface of a lake - you can feel it give as you walk across it - unusual). An often photographed area.

Areas surrounding still have logging activity I think, so logging trucks during the week. From memory most of the roads inside the park were graded rather than sealed, but this was a few years back.

Try googling it for more recent info.

5. Re: Hunter Valley/Blue Mountains - advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 13:19